add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Help isolating problem component

matt323323

1 month ago

Hi!

I was hoping for some input on an issue my build has been having.
I have an approximately 5 year old build w/ i5, 8GB, discrete GPU, 250 GB SSD (primary), 2 TB HDD.

For the past several months it has been occasionally crashing and failing to boot. It simply boots to a blue recovery screen telling me the device needs to be repaired and "The boot configuration data file is missing some required information"

File: \Boot\BCD Error Code: 0xc000000d

Booting off Thumb drive and trying repair doesn't fix it.

Doing a full reinstall of Windows does work, but I've now done that 3 or 4 times and it will work for a few weeks and have same issue.

My gut says it could be the SSD, but I am relatively novice in troubleshooting PC hardware issues. My wife is the primary user of the computer, and not sure it's relevant, but has mentioned some static/graphics anomalies leading up to it failing.

Any input is greatly appreciated! Thanks Matt

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I'm leaning towards towards the SSD being corrupted Graphics are likely due to age. I have a 8 year old i5 with discrete and it runs like ****, glitching all the time.

Look at this here, does it help? https://windowsreport.com/fix-error-0xc00000d-pc-needs-repair/

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Appreciate the advice, I was thinking of starting w/ new SSD.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Likely, that's your best bet. Reinstall boot files on a new SSD (fresh files of course) and re boot the computer.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube