add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Should I reinstall Windows?

Retro_R

1 month ago

I tried to overclock my 1660ti and it seemed to mess my computer up but ever since that day, WIndows has been gradually messing up more and more, and recently is has been starting to close games out of no where. Should I jsut reinstall windows??

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point
  • Start the system in safe mode
  • Un-install your GPU drivers
  • Restart your PC (this is required to purge all remnants before you install new drivers)
  • Install the drivers that came with the GPU

(Please Note: I did not say the latest version of NVIDIA drivers from the NVIDIA website.)

If you changed settings in your BIOS, revert them back and if you don't know what they were before just reset the BIOS by either taking the battery out and powering the system off or jumping the CMOS pins.

Alternatively, you may consider updating your BIOS but I wouldn't unless it's a last resort... please note both your motherboard and GPU card have their own BIOS separate from each other.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

What if I have the NVIDIA game ready drivers a long with the control panel drivers?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Well the drivers I tend to use come on a disc with the GPU card, or I download the drivers from the GPU manufacturer website that have been tested for use with your card.

The latest set of NVIDIA drivers from NVIDIA may or may not work well for you, I've literally had a GPU card in the past that would artifact out and BSOD the system if I used the latest set of NVIDIA drivers. Instead, I had to use the drivers that came with the GPU itself...

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Would I have to uninstall the game ready driver and the Nvidia control panel or just uninstall it straight through the control panel and be done with it?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Tried this and still getting BSODs and having to restart

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube