add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Lets Discuss : Vidyeah Games

Let's be honest here, most of us on PCPP play videogames, even if its not too often. Videogames provide a sense of escapism from the problems of real life and with the amount of video games there are you could spend your entire life playing videogames and never run of entertainment. With the many different genres of games there are you are bound to find at least one that peaks your interest, no matter what those interests there are.

Lets Discuss!

-

Do you play video games?

-

If so around how many hours a week do you spend playing videogames?

-

What kinds of games do you play? Why?

-

Any good recommendations?

-

About how much do you spend on videogames in a year? ( only includes the videogames and any DLC or Microtransactions for said games )

-

My answers :

Do you play video games? Of course i do.

If so around how many hours a week do you spend playing videogames? Depends on 2 factors, how many hours i work and my mood. Last 2 weeks i have played alot more video games because i have had days off, its been a while since i have had alot of those in a 2 week span. About 50 hours, i usually average around 25 with some low two weeks spans being around 10.

What kinds of games do you play? Been playing ALOT of minecraft ( will probably make a future thread about Minecraft specifically ), picked it up at the 10 year anniversary after not playing it since 2013. Other kinds of games i play are Cities Skylines, Planet Coaster, Factorio, Dwarf Fortress,Fallout games, occasionally terraria and unturned .

Why?

I spent nearly 7 years playing almost exclusively ROBLOX between the ages of 9 to 16. I never really got into consoles other than nintendo consoles and even then i still spent most of the time on my old hand me down DELL's playing roblox, tweaking the settings constantly so i could play at a rate faster than a slideshow. Lego and those plastic green army men action figures were my favorites as a young child.

Share your experiences!

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

Seriously? Did you actually play Roblox for 7 years? How, and why would you do that to yourself?

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I've been playing it for 3,248 days, or 8 (almost 9) years.

I do that to myself because I'm st u p i d.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I was 9 years old, it was several years before minecraft was even playable, i had a crappy 10 year old ( back in 2009 ) PC, my parents couldn't afford consoles ( with the exception of the Gamecube, DS and WII ) and i always liked playing building games. Did i mention i was poor? Well ROBLOX was free and didn't worry my parents who were somewhat strict on what i could and could not play. Despite what a trashbin the site has come to i did enjoy my time on ROBLOX when i was younger but i will probably never touch that site ever again.

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points
  1. Yes

2. Depends. I do have other hobbies so some weeks I may spend 10 hours, others 0.

3. I'll play just about anything that isn't sports or new 'battle royale.' Some random examples recently include Spec Ops: The Line (emotionally powerful with fairly generic gameplay), Pokemon Go, modded Skyrim, Killing Floor 2 (waves of zombies and custom maps), Bioshock, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, and Feather (just look this one up LOL).

4. The Switch actually has a lot of interesting things on the Eshop.

5. Not as much as I used to, but more than I'd care to admit.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Respectable answers, may i ask what are those other hobbies you do for fun?

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

One that I'm pretty sure I've mentioned here before is Magic: the Gathering. I'm getting hype for Modern Horizons right now. :D

The other big one is airsoft.

There's a few others I like but haven't had time/motivation for; 3 hobbies is already enough on top of all the stuff I have to get done. Going to stain my deck this weekend for example... which will be a hot mess, haha.

Small edit: I'm not including collections/other forums I frequent/etc.

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

I play video games. One of my earliest memories is playing Super Tux when I was 3. And then when I was 4 I was taught how to play Command and Conquer Generals. So basically a life long gamer.

Depends. Last week and the week before I played way too much Skyrim(went from 55 to 99 hours). That was unusual. The game I play the most on a weekly bases is League of Legends. Racked up 2106 hours since January 2017 when I started playing. Spend on average 15-25 hours per week playing it and is probably my most played game next to Minecraft. I played Minecraft for basically 4 years straight. Almost every day. On my Xbox account I believe I have over 3000 hours. And that's not counting the time I spent playing on PC and mobile. Got the to the point where I would play around 30-50 hours a week on a normal bases. But that didn't last long(Thanks Dad. Not being sarcastic. Looking back I am glad he grounded me for a month because I was not doing school. After that I played far less and actually got stuff done.)

Depends. I usually stick to strategy games, open world, action-adventure, FPS and sims like Cities Skylines.

Prey(2017), League of Legends, Civ 5, Unturned(It's free but if you feel like supporting the devs you can buy the gold version. Get a few special items but it's more like a 1 time donation). Command and Conquer franchise, Terraria, Subnautica, Cities Skylines, Star Wars Republic Commando, Jedi Knight 2, Jedi Academy, Empire at War, Sins of a Solar Empire(highly recommend Sins of the Prophets mod for you Halo fans), Project Cartographer(Halo 2 on PC with multiplayer, and free), and when it released Halo MCC for PC.

About how much do you spend on videogames in a year? ( only includes the videogames and any DLC or Microtransactions for said games )

A lot less than I used too. Used to spend about $20 a months, but now I only buy games on Steam Sales. And even then only games I really want. As far as I know I actually haven't spent anything on games this year. Last game I bought as far as I remember was Skyrim back in December.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

55 to 99 hours in one week? Lucky dog! That you had enough free time to play skyrim for that long! I only have like 50 hours in total and it was for one of the really old skyrim games, i got addicted for like a week and then dropped it, havent been bothered to come back. Similar case with LoL, i got one month in and i was out, it would've been to addicting for me. The minecraft part is strangly relatable, i only have like 500 hours since i first bought it back in 2012 but i used to play it everday, then left it for a while and just came back to it like 3 days ago.

Depends. I usually stick to strategy games, open world, action-adventure, FPS and sims like Cities Skylines.

Nice combo of genres and games, cities skylines is my 3rd most played game on steam.

Prey(2017), League of Legends, Civ 5, Unturned(It's free but if you feel like supporting the devs you can buy the gold version. Get a few special items but it's more like a 1 time donation). Command and Conquer franchise, Terraria, Subnautica, Cities Skylines, Star Wars Republic Commando, Jedi Knight 2, Jedi Academy, Empire at War, Sins of a Solar Empire(highly recommend Sins of the Prophets mod for you Halo fans), Project Cartographer(Halo 2 on PC with multiplayer, and free), and when it released Halo MCC for PC.

Except for the Halo mods and prey i have played all of these games.

A lot less than I used too. Used to spend about $20 a months, but now I only buy games on Steam Sales. And even then only games I really want. As far as I know I actually haven't spent anything on games this year. Last game I bought as far as I remember was Skyrim back in December.

Nice and respectable.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

This topic has been moved from "General > Off Topic" to "Software > Games / Gaming".

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

1: yes

2: maybe 10-16 hours, but once school gets out 8 days from now that'll spike

3: anything good

4: Civ V, Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy with the MovieBattles 2 mod, Undertale (terrible fanbase but amazing game), those are probably my top 3 favorites of all time.

5: probably between 400 and 600 USD. Last year I spent a bunch on my Switch, but that won't happen again for a bit. I buy an AAA game every 4 months probably, a few cheap games on Steam maybe like every 2 or 3 months, and like twice a year spend like 100 dollars on a steam sale.

I don't get the hate for video games, sure it's not exactly healthy but some games can be a good mental exercise (I'm much smarter when playing Civ V), and it's not any better than writing or reading except that your eyes get sore after a few hours.

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy

Played this so much when I was 8-10yo. This, Battlefront 2(Good version), Empire At Wars and Republic Commando were all I played for years.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Did you ever use MovieBattles 2? It's still active, more than 10 years later! I play it all the time when there's no school, after like 100 hours I'm finally starting to occasionally have a positive KDR lol (with people who have been playing for a decade+ it's really hard to do good)

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Nope. Never played.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Let's just say I didn't think the game could possibly get any better, I was wrong

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Civ V is good and all but all the DLC has kept me from enjoying the game for a while. Never played undertale, i may in the future but only if its on sale on steam, im not the biggest fan of star wars games.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

You can get Civ V plus Brave New World for pretty cheap when it's on sale, you're best off getting the complete pack on sale though (and it's incredible bang for buck since I have hundreds of hours on it).

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you play video games?

• Yes! But not nearly as much as I'd like to!

• Some weeks, it's zero! I don't like those weeks. When I do play, it's usually less than 10 in a week. Sometimes I'll setup my PC around like 9-10pm Saturday and game until early morning Sunday. Or the same, but Friday night to Saturday morning. My days of spending hours and hours at my desk all week long are behind me (now I spend hours and hours at the desk of my employer all week long instead).

• Pretty much all types except racing and sports, and not really big into sims. But I'd say primarily FPS and RPGs. I also like platformers a lot. Puzzle games are nice. Why? Well, cause they're fun, not sure how else to answer that. I'm picky about games and tend to buy few games and play them for a long time, vs buying the latest hot game and jumping to a new one every month. I don't play every FPS that comes out because I find most of them to be very uninspired, or I don't like their gun/movement mechanics, etc.

• These days I'm playing Apex Legends. That game is fantastic, and free! I bought the first two unlockable characters though, so I've spent a little money on it ($20, which I had in gift cards anyways). They can be unlocked through play if you're patient. I have enough in-game earned currency to buy the third guy if I want, but I am waiting to see what the next DLC character looks like first cause I really don't care about Octane... I could recommend a hundred games from days past. You'll have to be more specific lol.

• I haven't bought a PC game in a minute. Maybe like $100 or less? It depends on the year. For example in 2017 I bought a Switch so that was bigger expense than usual. Not counting hardware though, I still bought Breath of the Wild which was $60 right there. I also bought Rocket League that year for like $15. In 2018 I bought Darkest Dungeon (Ancestral Edition) on Switch for like $30, the DLC for Zelda which was $20, and... probably other stuff, I can't remember though lol. I'm pretty stingy these days. Part of that is because I need to find the time to invest, so I don't just buy games willy nilly and let them sit unplayed. But the Switch has a host of games coming that I am interested in so I may be taking advantage of the $100 voucher offer Nintendo has. Mario Maker 2 and Yoshi's Crafted World are high on my list, but also Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, and I still need to play Mario Odyssey, and I haven't even picked up Smash Bros yet... might have to buy two vouchers.
  • 4 months ago
  • 2 points

Yes! But not nearly as much as I'd like to!

Ain't that the fun of working? I feel the same on that front.

Some weeks, it's zero! I don't like those weeks. When I do play, it's usually less than 10 in a week. Sometimes I'll setup my PC around like 9-10pm Saturday and game until early morning Sunday. Or the same, but Friday night to Saturday morning. My days of spending hours and hours at my desk all week long are behind me (now I spend hours and hours at the desk of my employer all week long instead).

While its been a month since i have gone a whole week without playing any video games i know the pain of not having enough time to play games. I like how you sometimes spend your weekends, but until this weekend i have either had to work 6/7 days a week so that hasn't been possible until this week. I got a 3 day weekend so i can sleep in one night and still have 2 other days of fun, maybe do some overnight gaming.

Pretty much all types except racing and sports, and not really big into sims. But I'd say primarily FPS and RPGs. I also like platformers a lot. Puzzle games are nice. Why? Well, cause they're fun, not sure how else to answer that.

I have a love/hate relationship with RPG's, they tend to be either really good or really garbage. Gotta disagree with ya there on the sims part, i have always enjoyed sims ( i own The sims 1-3 ) and other sims like euro truck simulator and most indie tycoon games. I usually only play FPS, if im with friends and not for too long, i got too dedicated with overwatch and COD black ops II. Puzzle games are just not my thing at all, not my least favorite genre by far but i haven't played any that i liked.

I'm picky about games and tend to buy few games and play them for a long time, vs buying the latest hot game and jumping to a new one every month. I don't play every FPS that comes out because I find most of them to be very uninspired, or I don't like their gun/movement mechanics, etc.

I dont buy alot of games either, last one i bought was in 2018 which was 2016 DOOM for like 5 dollars on some sort of mega sale. Next game i will get most likely is Hotline Miami as i have nothing but positive reviews for that game. Im that one guy who hates spending money so much i didn't buy a single game on last years summer sale.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

When I wrote the sims part I was thinking about games like Civ in my head. But, now that you've mentioned others, I remember having such a blast with Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 back in the day. And although it's far more streamlined than what one usually considers a sim, I have plenty of hours on Fallout Shelter on my Switch lol. It's a great game to play in bed before sleep.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point
  1. Yes.
  2. It varies wildly. Just wrapped up my first year of college and I'm now working part time, so it depends on my schedule for any given week as well as plans I make with friends. Generally though, if I have no work to do and no plans, I'm going straight for the keyboard or controller.
  3. I used to be more into military shooters like CoD and BF, but since around spring of 2016 I've shifted to RPGs (more single player games in general, actually) and fighters. I've played Minecraft since 2012, and have recently started playing it a lot again. I can never stay away from the game for too long, I adore it too much. I also play a lot of Smash Ultimate.
  4. Any big FromSoft titles. Souls trilogy, Bloodborne, and Sekiro. Recently I've picked up an indie game called Mordhau, and I really like it. It's like Chivalry but better in basically every conceivable way, and has given me a very good reason to finally delete For Honor.
  5. I can't really put any kind of number to it, other than saying that its a lot more than I used to. That's in no small part due to the fact that I actually have some level of income nowadays.
  • 4 months ago
  • 1 point

If you want to get a good game, the Far Cry series is amazing. I would start with the 3rd one,

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point
  1. Yes

2. 12 maybe

3. FPS games, mainly Siege, Quake, and KFPSAT. I played Destiny 1 and 2 for a few thousand hours or so, haven't touched it since i hit 580 power level back in October (that was really good for the time.) If a cool new game comes out i might play it for a bit then i just go back to those main 3 games. I've also been playing Fallout since 2012 but i despise the community now and i refuse to play Fallout 76.

4. No

5. I don't really spend much on games anymore, most of my xbox games i get for free from my rich friend that im file sharing with. On PC, i never really buy new games or cosmetics anymore Maybe like $200 in total a year.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

somehow I own a beast of a gaming PC, yet I keep playing Krunker.io. somebody, please tell me how this is possible.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube