add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Nobody seems to care anymore

PCPPAccountant

5 months ago

So I wanted to see if it is like this all over, or just where I live. Does it seem like everyone is just doing what is best for them? Nobody has time for anyone else? Everyone is just trying to get one step ahead of everyone else?

Where I live, just outside of Baltimore, I feel like I live with the most rude group of people in society. When I drive to work each day, people will drive along the the entrance ramps of the highways all the way to the end to pass as many cars as possible, then cut in, slowing everyone else down behind them. In traffic intersections, people constantly speed thru a yellow/red light so their day is not disrupted for a measly 3 minutes at a red light, etc. On the highway, people are constantly cutting in front of you trying to get one step ahead into that faster lane, then jump back when that lane slows and another speeds up. If someone cuts in front of you and you lay on the horn, they have the audacity to give you the one finger salute and speed off. That's the driving part, and yes I'm aware the Baltimore/DC metro area is supposedly home to the worst drivers in the country. It just feels like nobody really gives a **** about anyone else and everyone is consumed in their own day.

On top of that, it just feels like anywhere you go here someone is trying to sell me this, or have me do that, etc. You can't even go to a store in a mall without some kid working there trying to tell you about their sales, their name, their bonus card this, and rewards points that. I'm aware they are just doing their job, but do retail businesses really think bombarding you with this ******** as soon as you walk in the door is the best way to bring customers back? On top of that, when I go to purchase something, why do I need to give you my personal information in order to buy something? I pay you, you give me what I want, I leave with a receipt, it should be simple as that. I don't need your benefits card, or to give you my email, let you know where my house is, etc. I feel like Peter Griffin on Grinds My Gears, but come on this is ridiculous.

It just seems like everywhere you go here, everyone is trying to pull one over on you whether it be at the mall, at the grocery store, at the gas station, at the auto shop, etc. Everyone just feels like they're trying to get one step ahead of everyone in every aspect of life. I live in a really nice area, but other than one neighbor of mine, nobody is really friendly with anyone else in the neighborhood. I've heard of people being much more friendly down south and when I've visited it just seems like a totally different flow to life. People seem to care about one another, help their neighbors out, are generally friendly to really anyone they encounter no matter where they are from. The opposite is true around Baltimore, I just wanted to see what it is like where you live. Is this a Baltimore thing or is this how people are all over the country now.

Comments

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

This is America.

I just bought a house in Columbia so I'll be in your neck of the woods soon.

Also idk about the south being nicer. My mom's side has tons of family in NC/SC and they are as mean as the day is long. There are nice and mean people everywhere. Its not region specific.

• 5 months ago
  • 3 points

Hold my drink while I flex

This is America

• 5 months ago
  • 3 points

How do you do that cool little text?

I can't seem to find it in Formatting Help...

• 5 months ago
  • 4 points

super script?

Formatting from Reddit basically it's all the same.

• 5 months ago
  • 3 points

That's where I learned most of it, lol. The specific formatting used here:

####`Hold my drink while I flex`
  • 5 months ago
  • 3 points

Ohhhh it's a small header, ok.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Does it seem like everyone is just doing what is best for them? Nobody has time for anyone else? Everyone is just trying to get one step ahead of everyone else?

Certainly not unique to your area. Hell, even here in rural Missouri a lot of people just seem to look out for themselves. Granted, there are a lot of people here with a strong sense of community and that's nice. One thing that I did to try and get more into my local neighborhood community was to have a block part once a month. It's nice to have all the neighbors get together, eat, and talk **** on the rest of the neighborhoods. lol

I'm aware the Baltimore/DC metro area is supposedly home to the worst drivers in the country. It just feels like nobody really gives a **** about anyone else and everyone is consumed in their own day.

Illinois would like to speak with you.

I don't need your benefits card, or to give you my email, let you know where my house is, etc.

I refuse to sign up for those benefit/reward cards. I am constantly getting told just how much I'm 'missing out.' Well, I don't get much junk mail so I guess they are right.

I've heard of people being much more friendly down south and when I've visited it just seems like a totally different flow to life. People seem to care about one another, help their neighbors out, are generally friendly to really anyone they encounter no matter where they are from

That is pretty common in the Midwest and down South. I mean, there are people like this everywhere, even notoriously fast passed cities like New York or LA (admittedly less in LA). But, there are a lot of people like that in the Midwest and down South. Hell, just go to Tenessee and you won't be able to hear someone talking for more than a minute without saying "well bless his/her heart."

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Does it seem like everyone is just doing what is best for them? Nobody has time for anyone else? Everyone is just trying to get one step ahead of everyone else?

This is human nature in general. People are selfish. They will do whatever they can to be better than you, to be ahead of everyone else. In some people that is what shows the most. From traffic, to stores, neighborhoods, they are all trying to get out ahead of you, and everyone else.

When I drive to work each day, people will drive along the the entrance ramps of the highways all the way to the end to pass as many cars as possible, then cut in, slowing everyone else down behind them. In traffic intersections, people constantly speed thru a yellow/red light so their day is not disrupted for a measly 3 minutes at a red light, etc. On the highway, people are constantly cutting in front of you trying to get one step ahead into that faster lane, then jump back when that lane slows and another speeds up. If someone cuts in front of you and you lay on the horn, they have the audacity to give you the one finger salute and speed off.

That's just city driving. I live near Pittsburgh, and going there during rush hour is the same way. People are impatient. Plus, I think city driving is just a driving style of sorts. I only see it near cities for the most part.

it just feels like anywhere you go here someone is trying to sell me this, or have me do that, etc.

Again, this is everywhere. They want you to help them get above the competition. It is all about selfish gain.
It seems like you are seeing it more because you are almost looking for it, even if subconsciously. Try to look for the nice people in your city, you may find more than you think.

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

This is human nature in general. People are selfish. They will do whatever they can to be better than you, to be ahead of everyone else.

People are also empathetic, and generous. It doesn't have to be this way; it's the society we've built that hones this quality above all others.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, this is very true. You just have to find the good in people, instead of the bad.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

I mean everything you described at the mall is the same in every mall, everywhere. I lived in the south for over 20 years and had the exact same experience is there.

I don't really know what you're looking for or expecting though. As Tiny said, this is America. Your complaints (outside of driving) are about walking around a building that only exists to try and extract money from you. Everybody has to hustle just to survive; they don't have room to consider whether you want some peace and quiet on your walk in the mall, they gotta make sales.

Does it seem like everyone is just doing what is best for them?

Should they not be trying to do what is best for them? Nobody else is gonna look out for them. We live in an intentionally cutthroat society.

Drivers here are definitely aggressive. The closer you get to big cities, the crazier the drivers become, imo.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Well as far as driving goes... well this is a consequence of bad drivers, slow drivers and aggressive drivers all fighting to do the same thing. Which is a consequence of the bare bones driver education provided to U.S. drivers. I live in in mid-MI, and it's awful, but in a different way. The thing that annoys me most of all is people who are at stop lights and take their time to get going once it turns green. Is the speed limit 45mph? Because they're only going to hit 45 mph 3/4 of the way to the next light a mile away. Want to get on the freeway? The speed limit is 75mph, but you have these jagoffs cruising on the entrance ramp at 50mph.... they're not going to bother getting up to speed until they get to the next exit. They're not driving slow cars, the ramps aren't such that they can't get up to speed, they just don't... they're just moseying along. They've got no concept of what they should be doing, so they just do whatever. And without stronger education and conventions, when people are just making up the rules as they go, you get chaos.

But none of what you describe is particularly new. At any point in time, someone stands up and looks around, and starts thinking everything is awful, it used to be better. Sure things used to be different, and maybe you believe you prefer those differences. But people don't change. The culture in Baltimore is different than down south, that much is probably true. A lot of things about daily life are probably different. Cultures and sub-cultures vary all over the place.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Lol Moseying along, the perfect description.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

I live and Utah and I feel like I've got it easy with Mormon generosity and all, people still try to sell you stuff, there is still a lot of ignorance, but there are also a lot of nice people who want to help you out. As far as bad drivers I've never been cut off but there are a lot of people who run yellow lights when they shouldn't and stuff like that. I would say that generally people are still greedy, people always will be, but they try to get what they want without the expense of others if that makes sense.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

I read your post, and there is several great responses to the post, but nothing you listed is new, it always goes in phases.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

I doubt it, though there are some factors like social media where people don't actually see each other as much. Here there are less social places like bars than 20yr ago. You probably saw it more for some reason and it hit you, so maybe try to change who you see and where you go if you can. Sometimes you have to be a little proactive to keep your sanity lol, I've gotten a different job just to get away from a place I didn't want to be, and jumped for joy afterwards. Decades ago I went to FL for spring break and lot of people from NY and TN there at the time. I don't have to tell you who was fun to party with and who wouldn't give you time of day. Yet the other day on tube they were talking about riding the NY subway and how cold people were, and guy says yeah but if your phone goes dead you will have 10 people offering you to make a call. The big city people are most likely different because they have to be, they are driven nuts by people and marketing every day lol. Out in the country it might be nice to talk to someone because there are no people around. While the environment is different I still think you will find good/bad people in either place, but they will do things differently because that is how things are. Here driving is a mixed bag, I tend to see people drive better when they have a place to go like work, on off times you might get retirees or people from different areas that are not in a hurry just plugging up traffic. Here the people on the road at 6am are always moving faster than people at 7am/etc., and I mean not more aggressive they just flow better. The trouble is when you get slow and fast people together.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube