add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Weird computer repair experiences

Nullarc77

5 months ago

So a friend of mine asked me for help with His laptop one of the hinges was broken. And it was also somehow causing His laptop to power off when He opened it.

So I cracked open the thing to find the threads holding for the screws that held the hinge to the frame had been completely ripped out. And the reason it was shutting off the laptop was because it was rubbing against the wire for the power connector. So we wrapped the wire with electrical tape to start out with. Pretty standard. Then came fixing the hinge. We decided to try and put the threading back in place and locking it with this thing He had in His car called JB Weld. Which 2 different liquids that mix together and once hardened turn into a plastic. Well securing the threads with it didn't work. WE let it dry long enough but the force of the laptop screen opening was too much. So eventually I came up with the great idea to just fill the entire thing with JB Weld. It worked. After filling the entire corner of the laptop with JB Weld and letting it harden it is now actually stronger than it was before. And actually made the chassis stronger.

If you ever need to do something that requires bonding to plastic JB Weld works.(This was not sponsored by JB Weld at all. But I wish it was)

Any strange repair stories of yours?

Comments

• 5 months ago
  • 6 points

I repaired a pc by turning it off and on.

Wack

• 5 months ago
  • 3 points

This is beyond science.

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

Plastic Weld*. I need to stop writing stuff at 01:00.

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

I think you got the wrong guy.

• 5 months ago
  • 4 points

Yep. This is why I shouldn't write stuff when I first wake up.

• 5 months ago
  • 3 points

Rule 1:

No writing stuff at 1:00

Rule 2:

No writing stuff when just waking up

Rule 3:

No talking about fight club.

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

Rule 5: Never go out of linear order.

• 5 months ago
  • 3 points

I think some of my favorite PC repair experiences are when i walk by and hit one button on the keyboard and it fixes the "major issue"

I love just hitting the key, and keep walking, while they give you that wtf look

• 5 months ago
  • 3 points

I once had an old Pentium II I installed WinXP on and every time you restarted it the clock would set back to 01/01/1601 in Windows, which is doubly weird, you can't set the date back that far using the normal clock controls. I did try replacing the battery, probably needed a BIOS update or some such. This only occurred on WinXP. Never really did fix it, just didn't bother turning it off mostly.

My sister was using that PC, and she got some cheap 15" inch monitor used. And it had a weird quirk where if you installed WinXP directly, while in Windows the screen would rapidly horizontally and vertically scroll (so scrolling at an angle) which made the system unusable. If you installed Win98 first and then upgraded XP over it it was fine. My own 17" monitor worked fine, so it was some weird combination of issues. Just let it ride with a clean Win98 installed then an an XP upgrade.

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

My laptop's battery was ****** for the duration of one (1) session of being on. My own laptop told me I should go replace it. I turned it off, left it next to my bed for the night and turned it on in the morning. Problem was gone. My faulty battery repaired itself, apparently.

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

Sweet fix, I love fixing stuff like that but yes plastic is hard to deal with. Great tip.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

I know some plastics can be mated and 'welded' together using acetone to disolve the plastic temporarily. I haven't used to it fuse two pieces, but I have used an acetone 'bath' to soften the edges of 3-D printed items.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

There is also an autobody two part stuff (a plastic 'bondo'/repair putty) for plastic car bumpers, it is flexible. Hard fillers will not hold on plastic bumpers. I don't know if you can buy it outside of autobody repair market. I can tell you it works. You do have to sand the area down and paddle it on there, then wetsand to shape it usually. Then there is a flexible primer to use over it.

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

Just flex seal all of it. I mean, you can even cut a hole in a boat and use it to plug the hole! FLEX SEAL!

paid for by the association of Flex Seal memesters

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

I'll give you a point for that, cause you are 100% on it! FLEX SEAL!

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

apply irony

You cannot repair PCs. As a matter of fact, nothing is worth trying to repair.

Just throw them away and buy a new one.

That's what the media tells you.

They must be right.

Right?

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Entropy of an isolated system only increases. No use trying to fix anything ever. Takes more energy that it's worth. Instead, let's just all reside ourselves to a broken world.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point
  • 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Thats right, toss it in the landfill! Cut down more trees, dig up more metals, and have the Chinese build more of them. Gives them something to toss in the ocean so the boats from Cali have something to find.

In my lifetime I have worn out at least 5 upright vacuums I found out for trash on road or left someplace and in good condition. One was plugged with dog hair, the rest needed a $2 belt to work again. I don't drive the miles I used to so I actually had to buy one 2 year ago. Either way that is a lot of plastic and a motor. They are easy to take apart and clean, its a vacuum. Saved me lots of play money, my new one was $55 on black friday, normally a $100 vacuum. There are many things you can do to pay yourself like that, you should check out those hair clippers with the vacuum in them, they are awesome.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/315193-ever-want-to-punch-windows-10

Installing VMWare Workstation fixed my ethernet and wifi problems. Yeah it makes absolutely zero sense.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Which JB Weld product? There are like 15 different ones.

Ive used JB Weld for steel before and it works well for sure.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Idk. It's like Plastic Wekd ir something.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

JB Weld could hold together the universe.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Who knew Justin Bieber made plastic weld? /s

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube