add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Out with the new, in with the old...apparently..

Bran_Flakes

5 months ago

Welp, call me a bad driver (I'm not, depending on who you ask... ;-)...), but it's time to start looking for a new car. Had the beautiful challenger for about a year and then got into a pretty bad accident about 3 or 4 weeks ago. I'm a youth pastor, and one of my kids so affectionately put it when someone asked what happened: "He was driving it how it was meant to be driven." Whether or not that's true, meh, up to you I guess. Long story short I ping-ponged around a bridge at 80 mph and ended up in trees (probably not EXACTLY how it was meant to....).

All in all it could've been much worse. First responders expected me to be dead (like, dead dead) on scene, but I walked away from it with just a broken finger and a pretty gnarly concussion (+10 for Jesus, -1 for guitar). No one else involved, just an empty country backroad.

Still, lessons have been learned (probably), and we're moving forward from here. Currently looking at few used trucks a couple years old or so which will be much more useful where I live (any recommendations?). That being said, a few years down the line I'm no doubt getting another one, but looking more at the Hellcat/Demon/whatever other supercharged versions are out then. ¯\(ツ)

Comments

• 5 months ago
  • 5 points

Toyotas are nice. Borderline indestructible.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

The Tundra is on pretty old platform and the crash test rating on it is pretty meh now for a new truck, I’d wait for the redesign (assuming you were talking about the trucks since Op mentioned the F-150)

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

Not just Tundras. Toyota made some pretty good pickups that stand the test of time. Model escapes me, but there was one that Top Gear beat the hell out of for a challenge (Including dropping it off a building) and it still worked great.

Not so much a truck, but my personal 4-Runner is a '99 and still runs great.

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

Iirc that was a Tacoma, aka the Taco (Which I think the old 80s one was the Hilux, will have to look it up)

Also the 4Runner is a truck based SUV so it counts

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

The tacoma wasn't in existence until the mid 1990s. The Hilux was a pre-tacoma truck from the 80s, similar to the "toyota pickup" we got here and the first gen 4 runner.

[comment deleted]
  • 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Agree. If you need a truck thats going to be dead reliable, you cannot go wrong with a tundra or an LS powered GM product.

• 5 months ago
  • 4 points

f 150 maybe? but u r remembered in my Prayers Pastor!

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks! Just happy to still be on this side of the dirt :-)

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

nice!

• 5 months ago
  • 4 points

Don't get a mustang, they have a natural attraction to crowds. On a serious note glad to hear you are ok.

Currently looking at few used trucks a couple years old or so which will be much more useful where I live (any recommendations?).

I really don't think you can go wrong with any of the big 3 (GM/Chevy,Ford, RAM) full sized trucks

That being said, a few years down the line I'm no doubt getting another one, but looking more at the Hellcat/Demon/whatever other supercharged versions are out then.

More power is always the solution to every problem.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

GM is the best out of the 3 for trucks, Ford is doing alright but some of the engines in the F-150 are still not as good as GMs LS V8s. Unfortunately for RAM, they’re the worst out of the bunch. While they are very nice and luxurious they have notorious Chrysler reliability, everything but the cummins Diesel engines will fall apart due time. lol

For smaller trucks the Ranger and the Tacoma are very nice, would avoid the Colorado tho

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

Unfortunately for RAM, they’re the worst out of the bunch.

Not to mention the very real and incredibly strong desire of an owner to commit vehicular assault for the sake of puns.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

The ramifications of that would not be good.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, such a thing would be unafFordable.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

With prices of trucks these days, cannot Dodge that bullet.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Don't get a mustang, they have a natural attraction to crowds. On a serious note glad to hear you are ok.

Not a huge fan of Mustangs or Camaros really. I felt smushed for a lack of a better word. The challenger was nice cause I could fit in it easily (I'm a biggish guy). Also same lol

I really don't think you can go wrong with any of the big 3 (GM/Chevy,Ford, RAM) full sized trucks

That's where I was looking but didn't know if there were any glaring faults I should be looking for. Most of my family owns GMC/Chevy and they all see to be decently ok.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

more power is always the solution to every problem

yeah, have you heard the story of the Shelby super snake cobra; basically Carroll Shelby built one for himself and it was a beast, Bill Cosby saw it and decided he needed one, he drove it once and got so scared he sold it without driving it again. the guy who bot it from him lost control and drove off a cliff into the ocean. so there is now one Shelby super snake cobra in existence because like you said before more power is always the solution to every problem.

• 5 months ago
  • 3 points

Ouch. Glad you're okay. Stuff like this is what makes me scared to drive.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Same. I'd be lying if I said I haven't been a bit more jittery than usual when riding in cars. I guess I just see the possibilities now a bit more lol

• 5 months ago
  • 3 points

I think a lot of vehicles really come down to personal preference.

But glad you are okay and still with us here, I remember flipping a vehicle 3 times when i was a kid, I was cut off, but maybe i could of been paying better attention. But the truck took the rollover amazly well, and the other good part is i was wearing a seatbelt, but still very scary.

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

I was being stupid. Old enough to know better, young enough not to care I think is how it goes lol. Had the steabelt on as well otherwise it definitely would've been a different story.

• 5 months ago
  • 3 points

GM if you need a truck. They are just flat out better than fords currently. and I wouldn't even consider a RAM given the recalls and just garbage Chrysler quality.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

When I drove a lot of vehicles for a lot a used to work for I get a chance to drive a lot of ~2016/2017 trucks. The RAM trucks just always felt cheap and lacking compared to Fords or Chevy/GMs. I really loved the power of the F150s from around that time. They could burn rubbers for a block straight without issue.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

I strongly recommend GMs currently. They are just the best option. The fords aren't bad, but the turbo v6 motors STILL have issues and we are seeing lots of 5.0 rod bearing failures on higher mileage trucks. Stick with an LS powered Chevy.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

That extends back to '14-'16ish ranges as well? Most my family has all owned GMs for as long as I can remember without issues. I've heard of problems with the Eco-tech (or whatever they're called now) that are in some of them but don't know a huge amount about them.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah a GM is your best bet for a full size truck. Definitely what you want. All the v8s are excellent and dead reliable.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Sweet. That's more what I was leaning towards anyway. Thanks brother man.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

No problem

• 5 months ago
  • 3 points

but I walked away from it with just a broken finger and a pretty gnarly concussion (+10 for Jesus, -1 for guitar).

Well if Jesus is getting 10 points, you got to give +20 to the engineers who've made modern cars into tanks. Or rather I don't think people appreciate how unsafe cars used to be by comparison.

I'm a youth pastor, and one of my kids so affectionately put it when someone asked what happened: "He was driving it how it was meant to be driven." Whether or not that's true, meh, up to you I guess. Long story short I ping-ponged around a bridge at 80 mph and ended up in trees (probably not EXACTLY how it was meant to....).

All cars are meant to be driven safely, even fast cars, especially on public roads.

Kind of wish God was still adding to the Bible for nonsense like this. "Thou shalt drive safely, with your eyes kept on the road, and according to the conditions at the time. Thou shalt not have a lead foot, for if God had wished you to have one would he not have made thy foot out of lead? And if thou does cause the death of another through thy own poor decisions while driving, he shall not know the Kingdom of Heaven for you had every opportunity to keep yourself and others safe but chose not to for your own amusement."

Also Jesus would be a safe driver, because it would be an opportunity to show how much he cares about his fellow man. Because driving is dangerous business and it's a team sport. Don't be a **** to your team mates.

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

I'm not sure if everything here was completely necessary, but still. Anyone who has been in an accident where no one else was injured or involved knows of the gratitude for that fact. I've thought everyday since then of the possibility of someone else being involved, and am thankful I don't have to worry about that. I am well aware it could've been a very different story. I joke because that's who I am, but lessons have indeed been learned. I know I am not perfect.

I am also aware of the innovations that have been made in car safety and didn't intend to downplay those at all. That being said, it could have been a very different story if any number of inches or seconds had been off. I personally don't attribute that solely to coincidence.

I agree He would have been a safe driver, and like I said, we live and learn.

Much love. throws the surfer dude hand signal in the air

• 5 months ago
  • 3 points

I may have come off a bit preachy. Just be careful man, it's dangerous business and half the people on the road don't seem aware of that fact, otherwise they wouldn't be so keen to drive like heathens. And no matter how safe I've ever been (less so in my youth, because kids are stupid) I could always stand to be a bit safer and more responsible.

It's hard because it turns out human beings are terribly flawed and unreliable creatures who are just barely getting by and blissfully unaware of it much of the time.

As Allister Moody would say, "Constant vigilance!" Only it's not dark wizards we're keeping an eye out for, it's our own fallibility and crappy decisions we're prone to make, at least occasionally.

And the truth is I'm probably 200hp away from being a more dangerous driver. Sorry for laying it on a bit thick though.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

No problem. I agree that we barely get by. It's kind of unfortunate that a lot of the more important lessons we learn cost so much, but I guess we get to a point and realize that is a lesson in and of itself. Lol

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

General Patton once said, "I don't like paying for the same real estate twice." (Although it might have just been a line from the George C. Scott movie, either way) And I try and apply that to learning from my mistakes, but also other people's mistakes. If I have the opportunity to learn from another's mistakes and then I still make it myself, it's almost like I made it twice and didn't learn my lesson the first time. And I don't like paying for the same real estate twice either.

• 5 months ago
  • 3 points

Idk your budget but a cool car up your alley that I think you’ll like is the Chevy SS. Good RWD performance sedan.

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

If a slightly used full size truck is in his range then I think an SS is too.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

True

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

I do not practice religion, but I wish all the best for you and your car.

• 5 months ago
  • 4 points

I'm always down to dunk on religion, but LegionNate is right, this isn't a post about that and this comment is ridiculous. OP just went through a harrowing experience and lost some expensive personal property to boot. You can wish well without the commentary.

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

I do not practice religion

Why is that your first statement? The primary purpose of this post was the car accident and asking for truck recommendations, which everyone else picked up on just fine.

• 5 months ago
  • 3 points

Because I'm dumb, heehee.

• 5 months ago
  • 3 points

Idk why you were downvoted so much cause you're obviously and clearly spot on here.

• 5 months ago
  • 3 points

Thanks. I think it might have come across as a little condescending with that last phrase. Either that or people just want to be justified in flexing their elitist status over everyone else that has a different worldview. This is PCPartPicker, not /r/atheism or /r/christianity.

Wish we'd take the stance that /r/dankchristianmemes has.

• 5 months ago
  • 3 points

Idk what that stance is and tbh don't know what the other two are like either, lol.

• 5 months ago
  • 4 points

/r/atheism - Religion is stupid
/r/christianity - Atheism is stupid
/r/dankchristianmemes - We're all stupid, but gotta love my boy Jesus memes.

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

Because op is religious of course

• 5 months ago
  • 3 points

He doesn't need to acknowledge any religious affiliation before wishing him the best.

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

I'll take that as a compliment :-)

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

Lol glad you did!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube