add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What is the stupidest thing you've ever bought?

ssjg5rlly

6 months ago

Hey. AskReddit PCPP! What is the stupidest thing that you've ever bought?

For me, it would definitely be (at the moment) blowing all this money on free-to-play games. RobloxFortnite, I'm looking at you. >:(

But I'm young and dumb, so I thought maybe I should ask the bigger kids (and the grownups.)

Comments

• 6 months ago
  • 7 points

My first pack of smokes... (15 years later....)

• 6 months ago
  • 4 points

I absolutely despise nicotine products. My mother and father smoked heavily. My father quit and I'm glad for him, but my mother refuses to and I'm quite worried. If you started and then quit, I'm proud of you! :)

• 6 months ago
  • 5 points

I moved to a e-cig, but i have actively been trying to quit for the last year, I know the e-cig is not the best option, but it is a option that will work for me right now, i am hoping in the next 6 months, i can taper off and be away from it forever. the years thing is how long i been smoking.

• 6 months ago
  • 8 points

I have faith that you can overcome this. :)

• 6 months ago
  • 7 points

Ah, well I believe in you! :)

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

we all believe in u! the whole PCPP website!

• 6 months ago
  • 5 points

In my case, alcohol. It's ok fine for "normals", but I'm an alcoholic and really bad things start happening when I drink.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

uh oh!

• 6 months ago
  • 5 points

My first pc part. It’s been a downward and growing spiral since then hah

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I sometimes go to my completed saved part list and wonder, "Where did I get all this money from?"

• 6 months ago
  • 5 points

Tickets to X-Men Origins: Wolverine

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah... that was definitely a low point.

• 6 months ago
  • 4 points

Anything with nicotine in it :)

• 6 months ago
  • 3 points

Yes. Addiction is the big bad.

• 6 months ago
  • 2 points

My pc im using right now and i will upgrade. I bought it for 250 used BUT what i didt know is that it was only worth 100 so lmao

• 6 months ago
  • 2 points

Ah, what are the specs?

• 6 months ago
  • 2 points

i5-2520M, HD 3000 Mobile, Win 7 32bit, a 320gb HDD, 1x4 ddr3 1333mhz ram, and 1366x768p. It's BAAAD

• 6 months ago
  • 3 points

The HDD is probably the worst part. The i5 might still be able to hold up to today's Pentiums [needs clarification].

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

its bad plus its about 10 years old

• 6 months ago
  • 2 points

A laptop with only 802.11n WiFi hardware when I have a router that supports both 802.11n and 802.11ac, so I couldn’t use the fast 5 GHz band on my router. (Fortunately, I salvaged a dual band Wifi USB dongle from my older gaming rig, which is the second stupidest thing I ever bought, but i never got to use it. I’m keeping it as a spare.) My current laptop has dual band WiFi hardware, so I’m all good now. :)

Old rig specs:

AMD FX 6300

AsRock 970M Pro3 mATX mobo

8 GB of DDR3-1600

I have no idea what hard drive was in there

MSI - Radeon RX 550 - 512 2 GB Low Profile OC Video Card

Raidmax Alpha mid tower case

And... facepalm a High Power 400W PSU.

Basically my old rig was similar to this one: https://www.amazon.com/iBUYPOWER-Desktop-7200RPM-Keyboard-AlphaB8140A2/dp/B07BDQSYCD/ref=asc_df_B07BDQSYCD/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309776868400&hvpos=1o7&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3075733562205443418&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031217&hvtargid=pla-593018036634&psc=1&th=1

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I have a 450n router I think, so I bought a 1900 and its still in the box months later. I can stream firestick or xbox just fine on the n router lol. Ok, I need to get the new one going.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Lets see...

Just about anytime i have to get food delivered to my house ( not the food but because i dont have a car i gotta pay delivery fees and a "tip" )

In terms of PC's i saved up around $350 of bday and chore money and bought [this](PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
Other Intel Pentium N3700 Quad Core ( 1.5GHz ) Purchased
Other 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM Purchased
Other DVD drive i only used once Purchased
Other Generic 80MM case Fan Purchased
Other Intel stock cooler Purchased For $1.00
Other Generic Dell Mobo ( no slot for GPU sadly ) Purchased
Other Generic Dell Case ( closer to micro atx in size ) Purchased
Other Not 80+ certified 300W Power Supply Unit Purchased
Other 900GB ( not 1TB ) Hard Disk Drive Purchased
Other Decent Wifi chip for a cheap Dell PC Purchased
Other All of Dells iconic bloatware ( free 30 day trial Mcafee antivirus software i cannot get rid of ) Purchased
Other Windows 10 Purchased
Other How much i spent on the whole system Basically Purchased For $298.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $299.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-22 19:19 EDT-0400 ) piece of s....

It was loud, slow and the only thing i could upgrade was the ram but it turns out the ram sticks are in a proprietary form factor, with one slot a single 16GB stick would've set me back $159.99 ( FYI this was ddr3 1066 RAM ) With $50 going into a decent monitor which will appear on my next build ( i got multiple builds that are almost complete )

• 6 months ago
  • 2 points

Just about anytime i have to get food delivered to my house ( not the food but because i dont have a car i gotta pay delivery fees and a "tip" )

THIS! I don't want to think about how much money I dropped on GrubHub as soon as I got my first job.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

All of Dells iconic bloatware ( free 30 day trial Mcafee antivirus software i cannot get rid of )

Just clean install Windows?

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Might have worked but at this point i dont even use that piece of s... anymore, plus i might uninstall windows and use it as a linux machine in the future.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

My 2015 13" macbook pro w//128 gb ssd for $500. I almost always run out of space and a bigger ssd costs almost as what I paid for it. It also runs hot all the time even with a repaste and the fans set to 3400 rpm. I would undervolt but I have not found a free alternative to Volta

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

a bigger ssd costs almost as what I paid for it.

No, even with the MBP 13" 2015's proprietary SSD standard you can get a 480gb one for $200, and a 240gb one for $130.

I would undervolt but I have not found a free alternative to Volta

Voltageshift. Works great for my hackintosh, but it has a bit of a learning curve to understand how it works.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

No, even with the MBP 13" 2015's proprietary SSD standard you can get a 480gb one for $200, and a 240gb one for $130.

Damn, I guess the prices have lowered since I've last seen them. I'm not sure it's worth upgrading this machine though. I'll see what my temps are like with that software but I'm not sure how to install it :/

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I mean, a 2015 13" MBP is still reasonably recent. It's actually one of the most desired MBPs on the used market simply because it doesn't have the butterfly keyboard atrocity

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

An iPhone.

I acknowledge it's stupid because now I'm in the ecosystem, but it's 100% true that Apple baits people with the iPhone to get you to buy their other products just because of how well they work together.

But I like it. Lol. Software wise things break a lot less, even with my laptop being a hackintosh.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmmmm - I didn't get sucked into the ecosystem so I'm wondering if I'm missing something. I hate iTunes, but that is a free product. That's cool you got a laptop-hack - only heard of desktops being hackintosh.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I hate iTunes as Windows software, I feel like it's tacked on. iTunes on Mac feels much better for some reason. Maybe because it's default and baked in? I dunno.

Yeah, a laptop hack can be quite a bit more difficult as you are fixing many more things, like battery percentage, changing the brightness, etc. But the final product is pretty rewarding if you like OSX.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

The problem I have with iTunes is the inability to get some CDs that I have onto my iphone. I forget each time how to do it and it isn't intuitive.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't think it's that terrible. You just rip the CDs as MP3s, AAC, or ALAC and you should be good to go...

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I'll need to try again.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I had an apple and couple years apps quit working, even the browser would not open the same pages I had looked at. It didn't get that slow the apps refused me one by one on purpose, could not upgrade the os. It was time to toss it in the landfill and get the new model. That was the last apple I had. Also had no external storage. So yeah it works great until they decide its time for you to pay for a new one. Or, that is what I got out of it.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

See, everyone says that Apple forces you to upgrade after a time, but when that same person's old windows PC stops opening apps or gets too slow, they just buy a new one without saying anything. And forget Android vs iOS; iPhones can last a ridiculously long time before becoming unusable, but Android basically forces you to upgrade every two years if you want your software version to stay relevant.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I had the ipod with a phone screen, nearly an iphone. The android phone I have now is on year 3 or 4 and still working great and even does voice over lte, and retail was $100. Yeah it was a good deal on a smaller brand. I can get a battery for $13. My PC says 2007 in the bios, though it can barely browse and with a not upgradeable goofy ide/sata controller it is way out of time. If you are a gamer your replacement time is much different, I was gaming on a xbox instead. However years back I upgraded everything on that PC for little cost. I have 30+ tabs open right now and it will play youtube good most of the time lol but without ssd support/ability there is nothing more to do, but it has run rock solid since day one. Apple is very nice to use in most cases, but you pay for it and they exert more contol IMO.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

My PC says 2007 in the bios, though it can barely browse and with a not upgradeable goofy ide/sata controller it is way out of time. If you are a gamer your replacement time is much different, I was gaming on a xbox instead. However years back I upgraded everything on that PC for little cost. I have 30+ tabs open right now and it will play youtube good most of the time lol but without ssd support/ability there is nothing more to do, but it has run rock solid since day one.

Lol, ironic that you're comparing a premium laptop from a premium company to an upgradeable desktop PC. Comparing apples to oranges

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I paid less for the refurb PC (a new return with new accessories) than I did for the ipod actually. The PC lasted over a decade with upgrades be it at reduced capacity now it will still run any old software just fine. The ipod at 3yrs was not only refusing to update apps it took away the old apps and became useless. Apple got in trouble eventually there were many lawsuits about premature obsolescence of one kind or another. Proprietary tech companies love to do that and yes I love to not support them after having been burned enough times.

I've never posted about a laptop on here.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm surprised you got them to work on a fruit in the first place man, bravo

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

lol!

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

A 100$ robot in the game War Robots called Butch, turns out it is hard to use in upper leagues since it is a sniper bot.

50$ on a Five Nights at Freddy's doll at Comic Con, I was not paying attention to prices at it was on sell for half price online.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Nice try ORS. But I ain't giving you anything else to tax me on.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

You give me $50 and put it in my box. I also put $50 in. Would you buy the box for $99?

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

As long as you include the money already in the said box!

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Um...no? I already gave ya $50 to put in it, so its only worth 50 to me.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

My Asus Tuf FX-504. That's because the thing runs like absolute crap unless you replace the HDD with an SSD.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

The first PSU, cooler, and case for my PC build. PSU (Enermax Triathlor Eco 550w) was 50 bucks, case was a 30 dollar Rosewill FBM-X1, and cooler (Rosewill RCX-Z90-AL) was another 10 bucks gone, all were replaced ASAP.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I decided to buy marijuana once because I wanted to try it. I had a fun time, but I haven't smoked since mainly just because I don't think it'd be good for me to smoke it while I'm still in High School.

• 6 months ago
  • 2 points

As someone who smoked pounds of the stuff while in high school, I think you made the right choice. Pot can be a massive distraction and really hold you back while in school. I'd recommend not trying it until you are 21+ and out of higher education. It's also best enjoyed quite seldom as it can be mentally addicting depending on the person.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah, yes. I am in high school as well and I'm not going to try a drug. (At least until I get out of college.)

• 6 months ago
  • 2 points

No drugs lil kids

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

damn you got me.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

$60 on a parrot rolling spider

extra $3 for game of the year edition rocket league

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

My bachelors degree. smh my head ecks dee

• 6 months ago
  • 3 points

Who needs a bachelors degree when you literally control the GorkBucks economy?

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the perspective, I feel better already ;)

• 6 months ago
  • 2 points

btw i was wondering how do u get gorkbucks?

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

You have to post a video of yourself dabbing, using the John Wick skin, on the wings of a biplane.

• 6 months ago
  • 2 points

I sense a challenge.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

My computer

I'm not too sure. Maybe those Bluetooth earbuds that lasted a month, not too sure.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't use Bluetooth earbuds. I just can't stand being in the middle of a "competitive" game (actually rarely plays Casual de_dust2 on CS:GO, like a boss.)
Something about my earbuds beeping obnoxiously when the battery is low, or the set randomly dying. I'll just stick to wired. :)

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Circa year 2000. I lived out in the boonies and had dialup, broadband wasn't an option. ISP made it seem like ISDN was an option available to me. So I bought a U.S. Robotics ISDN modem and found out it that ISDN wasn't available in my area after all.

For all youse kids out there ISDN was a 64k connection and you could get dual ISDN with the blazing fast speed of 128k. Broadband back then could be in the range of 256-384k on the entry level. My first DSL connection a year or two later (having moved to a city) was 384k, but was upgraded to 768k soon after.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I've spent more than $1000+ (..to be fair, I had a decent job back then) on gems in One Piece Treasure Cruise and now I don't even have access to that account because I didn't back it up and don't remember my user ID. Waste of money in my opinion, since I didn't even get that much of good characters.

They called it gacha games, which is the Japanese word for "method of selling random in-game items in mobile games " but you see...I call it "gotcha!" because they definitely caught my ***, it's really addicting like gambling. I am now playing DBZ Dokkan Battle, but I'm being smart and just saving up the dragon stones that I get for free instead of buying. I missed out on quite a few characters, but they always come back.

Thinking back, I could have use the $1000 on decent computer parts.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I love Dokkan, but don't play it often because I keep forgetting my in-game ID, and I get bored of it. Glad you're doing better! :)

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, I hope I can sell the account in the future haha.

[comment deleted]
  • 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Woah there, buckaroo.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube