• No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

thunder-93 21 days ago

Only $110 for 1TB M.2 NVMe (Intel 660p) - Sale Ends Monday 4 March

Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCI-Express 3.0 x4 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) SSDPEKNW010T8X1

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6ZP8A93479&cm_sp=Homepage_BS-_-P5_9SIA6ZP8A93479-_-03022019

Comments Sorted by:

Captaincow285 2 points 21 days ago

Man they are cheap now. I remember when an M.2 a quarter of the size was that price.

[comment deleted]
DragonDUS 1 point 20 days ago

Wow

[comment deleted by staff]
ImperiousBattlestar 1 point 19 days ago

Not unless you’re doing things that require high levels of reading/writing data.

pcbldragain 1 point 19 days ago

Well the prices keep moving down, this drive is not as fast as the better Nvme but its much faster than SATA III drive. Iirc in theory SATA I is 150MB/sec and SATA II is 300, SATA III is 600. A 10,000rpm HDD can maybe top out SATA I. A SSD can top out SATA III, some say a real 550 for that. Pcie M.2 can do 2,000MB/sec, and Nvme M.2 can do 3,000MB/sec (read speeds). The above intel drive lists 1800MB/sec so it is still way faster than a SATA SSD but not a fancy Nvme high speed drive. So you have to balance budget against future proofing/speed you need. Even a SATA III SSD is pretty fast to a human unless you are moving huge files. A SATA SSD 1tb is about $100-150 depending on what you get, a 1tb M.2 SSD is about 120-300 depending on what (how fast) you get....roughly. So what you get here is a 1tb 1800MB/sec M.2 for the price of a 1tb 550MB/sec SATA. So about 3.5X faster. I would get one but I already bought a fancy fast Nvme and a 7200 3tbHDD so I don't need a drive now, by the time I do they may be cheaper yet.

thunder-93 submitter 1 point 19 days ago

Short answer is yes. And what I mean is that this NVMe (and most NVMe's, even PCI-e x2) has faster read and write speeds than a M.2 SATA since it's not limited by the SATA protocol.

And this benefit is more noticeable during heavy read or write tasks.

For less intense tasks, the difference will be less noticeable (boot time, game load time). And compared to the price of 1TB M.2 SATA or 1TB 2.5" SATA SSDs that cost more, seems like a no brainer if you're already in the market for one.

One note is that if you look at the link, this SSD is being sold on NewEgg by NothingButSavings.com , so be sure to check out that vendor (reviews, return policy, etc.) to decide if you want to buy from them. I can't vouch for them one way or another (have never bought anything from them). Just noticed the price was an incredible deal. NewEgg sells this same drive for $125 (https://pcpartpicker.com/product/9nhKHx/intel-660p-series-1tb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-ssdpeknw010t8x1).