add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

New part category filters - slide ranges + other usability improvements

philip

70 months ago

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let you know I've rolled out some changes to part category filters to (hopefully) improve usability.

Probably the biggest change is the slide range filters. Most places where it was appropriate I replaced long numeric lists with slider ranges. (Things like HDD capacity, CPU frequency, number of DVI outputs on a GPU, etc.)

Now when filters are abbreviated, we'll also hide the incompatible options. They can still be viewed by clicking the "show all" link however.

For RAM selection, I reworked how the size picker works. Previously we had it as two separate filters - total capacity and number of modules. Now they are combined, so you'll see it as "16GB (4x4GB)", etc.

Quite a few people have asked for a price filter - I'll be working on that soon. It shares a lot of code with the existing slide filters, but not everything. With it requiring a bit of extra code and adaptation, I wanted to go ahead and push live what I had first.

Please let me know what you think! Thanks!

Comments

• 70 months ago
  • 3 points

Great work, Philip!

• 70 months ago
  • 2 points

If preferred the check boxes though. This makes it a little trouble some to search on my tablet. I know you are working on a mobile site, but I prefer actual real sites on the tablet. Its just my opinion it works okay with just a normal web browser (laptop/PC).

• 69 months ago
  • 0 points

Same here. I do want the mobile version of PCPartPicker soon, and I am really want iOS support if it is an app and not a mobile web site.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks a ton!

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

awesome!

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

i like the new features but it is actually harder to find storage with the new slider, imo. the old way it was 2 clicks and now you have to try and get it to just the right spot for what you want.

• 70 months ago
  • 2 points

Aye, I'm iterating on the storage filter - experimenting on ways to make it more usable. :(

[comment deleted]
  • 69 months ago
  • 1 point

It actually does snap. I think the issue with storage was the points were too close together. I've changed the scaling for that one slightly, so hopefully it is more usable now.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 69 months ago
  • 1 point

The sliders are awesome, It made things really easy throwing my i5 build together, which I have started ordering, this website is just awesome.

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

Is it possible to make the sliders so when they are overlapping you don't have to pull the top one only one way, but either way?

Minor, but thanks

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

Great work on the improvements...a price slider will be nice but can still just sort by price anyhow and ignore the items that are over budget.

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

This would be great, I second this

Also the sliders were a great improvement! I love them so far!

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

I really like the RAM change, i always had to check 8 gb and 2 modules and modules was all the way on the bottom.

great change.

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

Philip... great site. Question: How come in the recent completed builds not every build is searchable (by specific part) with the filters. For example, only some of the builds on the following page:

http://pcpartpicker.com/builds/#page=5

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

Appears to be a bug. I'm looking into it.

[comment deleted]
  • 69 months ago
  • 1 point

Definitely a bug...because this list is from a search filter on my case, but doesn't show my build: (searched by filter)

http://pcpartpicker.com/builds/by_part/fractal-design-case-fdcaarcr2blw?sort=rating

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

Would be helpful to be able to browse completed builds as sorted by price, so those curious about what kind of build they could do for their budget can see how others spent their money.

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

Love the new features, makes it much easier. Especially on a few notable pages, like ram and ssd selection!

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

I love the slide ranges. They're so much more convenient when I want to search by "At least 1" or "At most 4" or whatever.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

It would be nice if there was a way we can add a part from a website that hasn't' been posted yet. Like if I see a part on newegg.com and I don't yet see it here, how would I post it so I could monitor it or add it to my build?

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

You can do that from the build overview screen that shows your selection from each category on one screen... It's never the bottom... But it's also in need of a usability overhaul.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

Cool beens bro, thanks for the heads up on that.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

No problem, i had to find it before too... lol

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

Those sliders are a real pain when your looking parts up from a mobile phone screen... In the absence of an android app, I prefer the check boxes or a way to type numbers or click up and down arrows... Far more accurate than the 30 tries it took me to set a hdd size limit yesterday lol

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

Love the ram picker change btw

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube