add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Oliver
  • 76 months ago

Well today I got home, and got about 5 price alert emails, including that the 900D dropped to 30 bucks, and the 3570K was at 15 bucks, and boy was I excited!!! I didn't even have a project in mind, but I was gonna but the 900D. I went to the merchant, and it was 330, as usual. Do any staff have an explanation for this? Thanks!

Comments

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

We had a bug with pricing earlier and had to take the site down. Unfortunately some erroneous price alert emails went out. Sorry!

• 76 months ago
  • 2 points

bugs are bugs, there's not much you can do about them besides squash them!

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

Aye, I apologize for that. Many price alerts got triggered by a pricing bug earlier today. The bug has been fixed and the pricing fixed, but unfortunately those emails still went out. :(

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

It's okay, after my first reaction, shock, my second reaction was that they were too good to be real, and sadly I was right...

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

Oo I see. Was it because of those fancy new price history charts you guys were working on? Those are amazing!
Some of the graphs still have super low prices on the date 12/6/2013 at the veeery edge of the chart when you hover over.

The inconvenience wasn't too bad when you get AWESOME NEW CHARTS.

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

I wish… but the new charts went in without any (major) issues. This change was more internal infrastructure. I was refactoring code for our internal price "engine" to reduce database load. In the process, I introduced two bugs that both resulted in erroneously attributing prices of one product to another. I thought I had thoroughly tested, but I missed some critical areas… (lesson learned). I'll be fixing up the price histories, but not before I aggressively test that code...

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

Same here! Got an alert for an Asus 1440p monitor for $50. My jaw dropped! Good to know I didn't miss anything, though, I doubt any merchant would honor that price.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube