add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

November update

philip

34 months ago

Jipster let me know it's been a while since I posted here. He's right. The lead-in to Black Friday and Cyber Monday is always busy and a bit crazy.

The team has been business as usual working on content (build guide videos, etc.), working on a new layout for the site, and working on a couple other projects we can't quite reveal yet.

We've pushed out several changes recently that improve the latency and accuracy for retailer price and stock tracking. We still have one more big change to push live, hopefully in the next day or two if I can get my code together in time. Ultimately though we've put together a system that can closely track several million price updates an hour. Architecture changes are on the table to grow that to tens or hundreds of million price updates per hour. Scaling that up bit by bit is fun stuff.

Price accuracy is important to me, but the side projects right now are honestly where my heart is. I can't wait to roll back the curtains to show everything off once it is done. Until then you'll have to guess what we're working on by the hints we leave on Instagram and occasionally in our page source.

Comments

• 34 months ago
  • 3 points

Gr8 m8 wood r8 8/8 4 gud b8

Jk. Great job guys!

Inb4 Jipster

Yes that's a thing again :P

• 34 months ago
  • 3 points

Just be careful with the improved update speed, you don't want to DDOS the retailers :p

• 34 months ago
  • 7 points

Philip : "We've got the new price tracker out!

Ryan : "Great! How fast does it update?"

Philip : "Oh... Like several million times per hour"

Ryan : "Several million times for like 2 million products or several million times for one product?"

Philip : "Both, I think."

Ryan : "Is that even possible? One update per second would be 3600 per hour, for 1 product."

Philip : "Yeah. The beta pricing did well. This should give really accurate prices."

Gmail
To : philip@pcpartpicker.com
Subject : New Pricing

While we appreciate your efforts to provide the most current and accurate prices to your users...
Please stop DDOSing us.
  • 34 months ago
  • 1 point

I see RPi's and GT 710s, this is gonna be good.

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

(From Instagram)

death_by_fluffy_kitty :

Why do you have a lot of 3.5mm audio jacks

Because iPhone 7.

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

Serious suggestion : as long as you're releasing a Nov update...

Winks

How about a few more 'hidden fonts'? Like small bold, but the same size as the default font, but unbolded?

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

I like the addition of the flames to show how good a price drop is! Seems pretty accurate as well.

What are the rules behind how many flames?

• 34 months ago
  • 2 points

That was a quick hack I threw in today. This may change in the future, but for right now the single flame means it is the lowest price in the last 90 days. The triple flame means it's 10% lower (or more) than the previous lowest price in the last 90 days.

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

Make TV's in the Displays section.that would be cool....

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

Since you're working on retail price accuracy, will there be an ETA for Micro Center? 3 months or something like that?

Save me money......... =D

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]
  • 34 months ago
  • 1 point

Dodecagonical SLI!

But GT 710s don't have SLI capabilities.

(Cries)

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube