add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

1440p Gaming Rig and 27" IPS

Zenthere

69 months ago

So this is what I am looking for:

• Primarily Gaming, but I will be doing some work on this computer including large data crunching (multi-GB data sets)
  • Good Gaming on great settings on a good display (I was going to get the 30" IPS from Monoprice, but i've never even had a 27" so I doubt I'll know what I'm missing
  • Ability to grow into it, expand memory and video. I don't need bleeding edge, but i want this PC to last a while.
  • Clean look, quiet build, reliablity

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor $199.99 @ Microcenter
CPU Cooler Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $129.99 @ Newegg
Thermal Compound Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste $6.20 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Asus SABERTOOTH Z87 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $229.99 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $127.50 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk $209.99 @ NCIX US
Video Card Asus Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card $309.99 @ Amazon
Case Corsair 600T White Graphite ATX Mid Tower Case $159.99 @ NCIX US
Power Supply Corsair 760W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply $137.98 @ Newegg
Other Mono Price 27 in IPS 1440p $390.60
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available. $1902.22
Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-12 03:46 EST-0500

Comments

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

There are many equal quality, less expensive parts I would choose for your build. ddr3-1600 ram, less expensive mobo, cpu coooler, case, smaller ssd with a 1 tb hard drive. I would do these so you could buy the R9 290 instead of 280x. After gaming with my 7970 on 1440p I can say you will want more if you want to max games out. Especially for a couple years down the line. The 290 is built for 1440p plus it's better for data crunching. Otherwise just go with a fast response time 27" 1080p monitor like i switched to. You wont have tearing in your graphics with this option because you don't have a 5+ millisecond response time so your game play will be way smoother. I went with this baby and it's a gem for 200$. the 280x/ 7970 is just perfect on that resolution. [:

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

That GPU isn't going to cut it for 1440p gaming. You'll need at least two of those. I would also advise on going with an i7 instead of i5 because if you're going Microcenter and you're going Intel.. I think you should pay an extra 80$ for increased performance and hyperthreading. It doesn't matter in many games, but it does in some: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Core_i5_4670K_and_i7_4770K_Comparison/8.html In that top benchmark it's an 8 FPS difference, which is more significant than it sounds. Games will only continue to get more multithreaded, so there's really no reason to not bump it up.

Also, if Microcenter still has that deal going on where you buy an MB with a CPU and get money off of the bundle, I would advise jumping on it and getting a less expensive MB than that (rather than going Amazon). That thing seems overkill.

The SSD is overpriced, you don't need an 840 Pro. SSD's don't help games much, they just affect system startup times and crap.

You don't need a plat rated 760W, I'd just go get an 850RM or 850HX for the same price (you can use it to CF cards later on).

I'll also disagree with coryjamesking, the CPU cooler is about on the mark for what you need to cool a Haswell properly. My Kraken X40 keeps mine under 80C when doing a max heat synthetic test on Prime95 at 4.5Ghz. Overclocking to 4.5Ghz is also highly suggested for these CPU's, as there is actually a tangible increase in performance for doing so.

... TL;DR, go look at what I built for gaming at 1440p. Replace my 780GTX's with a pair of R9 290's. Though note that you will likely run into massive noise and heat issues with those. >_>

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

I agree with what they said except about the memory. I'd keep the faster-speed memory, because it will probably last you a long time, and things are just going to get faster, just make sure you actually utilize the faster speed by changing any settings if need be.

Id get smaller SSD and get a 2+ TB HDD. I have a 120 SSD that filled up the first week, and a 1 TB HDD that I am quickly filling up with games. I wish, at this point, I had purchased a WD Black 3 TB.

Might be able to save some money on CPU cooler, but I understand that is usually personal preference type of thing. Was for me...

I think you could get 2 x 4 GB for the RAM and downgrade the CPU cooler and SSD (to a smaller one) and make up the money for the HDD.

Don't know much about the video card, but it seems okay since it's VRAM is more than 2 GB. I got 4 GB VRAM personally. I was told the VRAM will not double if I go SLI, so if you have 3 GB with one card, you will still only have 3 GB VRAM with two cards, but performance will improve of course. <3

Those are my thoughts.

• 69 months ago
  • 2 points

My Thoughts are as follows:

RAM: Future proofing, 1866 will be around forever, and 8GB Sticks allow for me to have room for my "Big Data". I know I will need 16GB for the work I do.

Processor: the i7 is tempting, but I'm almost never CPU bound.

Storage: It wasn't in this post but I have a 1TB drive that I will be using for Programs and data storage, the SSD I want to last for more than 5 years, and SSD's have barely been out for 5 years. So I think i'd like to stick with a pro series. I might go down to 128 GB though.

PSU: Power is interesting, I want fully modular, and I like efficiency. As an Comp Engineer by trade I don't want to think of what they are doing to not get 90% efficiency.

CPU Cooler: I'm a long believer in water cooling technology, Large heavy coolers weighing on the motherboard and the inefficiencies of designing proper air flow fluid dynamics in a case just lead me to believing that a clean water cooling solution is the best option.

Video Card: This is my weak point. A 280X is getting low 30 FPS in Battlefield 4 Ultra settings at 1440p. I'd love to get a 290X but really I refuse to get the reference cooler design with the firmware issues they have had. If they announced a non-reference cooler design by anyone, I would get it in a drop of the hat. I'd like to keep with AMD as I believe they will have the edge in gaming performance in the future. (when they get their **** together :) )

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

It's interesting that you're talking about "future proofing", yet you're not getting an i7 and instead using some of the money on an SSD that likely has features and marginal increases in speed that you don't need (and will likely not ever need)... and a PSU that will likely be as efficient as heck, yes, but might not have enough wattage to easily power two cards if you need another one down the road. To put this in perspective, I'm powering two 780 GTX's and an i7 4770k@4.5Ghz off of an 850HX. There is such a concept as "good enough", and imo paying a premium for even more efficiency when you could just get 100 more watts is kind of pointless. There are plenty of circuit-level part-by-part breakdowns of these power supplies online, and the 850HX or above are all fine.

Also for future-proofing RAM, you really can't. DDR4 will be out next year, iirc. That's going to blow away everything we have now, so you're not really future proofing much by getting one step above 1600 (at CAS 9). The price is still fine, though, for that much RAM, so that's a fine price. It's just a comment.

Tl;dr I don't think this is maximizing your available money for what your goals are.

Also, interesting, I graduated just last December with a Computer Engineering degree, too. GA Tech here. Good luck in your studies.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube