add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Price drop on a 4GB GTX 670... worth it at all?

gibmanmtl

69 months ago

CA prices, went from $460 to $275 for a 4GB model.

right now, I can get a 4GB GTX 760 for $290 minimum. I was told it was just a rebranding... so, worth it at all?

Comments

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

Might be worth it if you're actually thinking about pushing your VRAM, such as 1440 or triple monitor situation (otherwise I'd just go 2GB).

The 670 should be slightly better performer (very minor) and the 760 would have slightly better power consumption and lower noise.

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

The 760 is not a rebranded 670. The GTX 670 has one more SMX unit enabled iirc, and it will thus be slightly faster.

The 760 is a bit more clever with the GPU Boost 2.0, though, so the difference will probably not be very big.

Personally, I'd go for the 670, as it's cheaper and features a more enabled GPU :-)

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm running a single 23" widescreen monitor in 1920x1200, so 2GB is enough to push it?

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

I think in the vast majority of cases, 2GB is enough.

Apparently, BF4 would like more than 2GB, and the same goes for insanely modded Skyrim installs, but I think this applies mainly to bigger resolutions than yours, though.

IMO, you'll be fine with 2GB. 4GB is future-proofing, but since the PC component world is moving so fast, it may be future-proof for a future, where the GPU itself will be too slow (if that makes sense?)

• 69 months ago
  • 2 points

Makes perfect sense. I was trying to keep the budget low, but yet get the most performance for now and a few years. But then, maybe save now and spend when the time comes, if it comes fast. :-)

thanks a bunch!

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

i can sell you a gtx 760 4gb for $225

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

Hello there, the AMD R9 290 came out today! it is 400 dollars but it performs close to the GTX 780, better in some games like Battlefield! 4GB and runs much cooler than the 290x which is 550$ but competes with the Titan. The extra money spent would be so worth it. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/sapphire-video-card-100362sr

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

side note: if you can wait for non reference 290s I think it would definitely be worth it.

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

I agree, & there will be a ton to choose from.

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

Lol, runs cooler? That's like comparing the temperature of the earth's inner core to the outer core.

Not to mention it draws more power under load.

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

Well considering a GTX 660ti only runs 18 degrees cooler under full load, at half the performance, I'd say it makes up for it. Plus the 290's Hawaii architecture is built to run at that temp. With the power consumption, it draws the same watts as the Titan, and only 33 more watts than a GTX 770. http://www.techspot.com/review/736-amd-radeon-r9-290/page8.html

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

In Canada that card is $450, which brings it way past my current budget. $300-ish would be the maximum, although right now the best option seems to be a GTX 760 for $259

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

If you can bump it up to a 280x, that'd gt you 3g vram(as well as better performance overall).

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh I see, ya that's not as good of a deal then but still an amazing card. Nice deal on the 760 tho. Have fun with your new card!

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

Personally with that monitor, I'd go with a 770 for $330 (US prices), as you get 3 games for free. This will give a lot better performance and is relatively close priced.

Unless you're playing with 3 monitors, 2GB will be just fine. BF4 says 3gb is a nice amount, but it runs just fine with 2gb of VRAM.

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

Never mind about that 770 then, I just saw you said it was high priced. Maybe see if there is a 280x? That is 3gb of memory and it runs very comparable to a 770.

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

In the end, I actually went with a 2GB GTX 770. After weighing in everything, especially since I will play at least Black Flag and Batman, the difference was worth it. Snagged it on sale for $330, which streched a bit my budget, but if I had bought the 760 then bought Batman (not included with the 760), the actual difference was around $20.

thanks for all the help!

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

That's awesome! I'm glad you did that, and for an excuse too.

I'll tell my dad to get a nice 770 for Christmas, because I do want Batman Arkhams. LOL "Dad, it's only $20 more!"

-Matt

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube