add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

High(er) end GPU??

JakeyU72

72 months ago

I'm in the market, well for christmas that is, for a GPU. I want it to be able to play things on max, as well as perform better than my 680 4GB as I will be moving that to another rig. The ones I have my eye on are the 760 SLI, which I'm not too big on, especially since they'll be outdated very soon, a 770, then upgrade to SLI later, 780 Lightning (or any other high end 780 models), R9 280X CrossFire, or the R9 290X once they come out with quality coolers. Any suggestions and why are welcome!

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh, and I would go for a 3 or 4GB GPU as I will have these for a while and I don't want 2GB to be too little in two to three years time.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

It all depends on budget, really. Obviously, you could get 2x R9 290X in crossfire, and that will definitely outperform your 680.

Bang-for-buck-wise, though, you should probably have a look at the 7970 GHz editions or R9 280X in X-fire, or if you have a watercooling loop to hook them up to, 2x R9 290s :-)

Alternatively, you could get another 4GB 680 and SLI - and then get another card for whatever rig you're thinking of moving the 680 into.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I have thought about SLI-ing my 680 but the model I have is discontinued, the Asus DirectCU2 4GB 680. Right now, I'm leaning towards the 780, but the 290X is so much louder, which contradicts my $50 spent on Noctua NF-F12 rad fans on my H100i, my Define R4 noise dampening case. That's why I said quality cooler, so if it's the 290X, I'll wait for it.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

You may be able to find some second hand cards like yours though.

I can very varmly recommend the MSI TwinFrozr IV cards from a noise perspective at least - mine is inaudible even while under gaming load. So if you're going with a 3rd party cooler (which you should) then the MSI is definitely a good option :-) I know the Asus ones are really quiet too, but the MSI ones are usually a bit cheaper.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

The R9 is really loud, if you can handle that I'd go 290 (not 290x, that's an extra $150 for like 3fps) and maybe SLI it. But if the noise would bug you (it definitely does me) and/or if you value the video games that are free with the nvidia cards, then I would recommend the 780 and maybe SLI it later! 780 will run everything modern at 1080 without breaking a sweat (if you run 1440 or triple monitor you will only have issue with like Crysis 3 and Metro)

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Definitely R9 290, the reviews and benchmarks are coming in and it's beating the GTX 780 in most games. Only 400$ and are relatively quite and cool.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube