add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

2GB or 4GB 770?

comptech0408

69 months ago

Hi , I was just wondering if it is worth the extra cost to purchase the 4GB model of the 770. What benefits would I see over the 2GB model? Thank you for helping!

Comments

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

more VRAM can help with games that require more VRAM, can better support higher resolutions or multiple monitor setups

• 69 months ago
  • 2 points

So since I plan on using 3 monitors, the 4GB version would be the way to go?

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd suggest it yes

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

For sure

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

Would there be any benefit to using 2 760's of the 4GB version? Or is that overkill? I would like to be able to test levels/games I create in the highest settings to work out the bugs.

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

For sure, with more monitors you need more ram, with 2 cards that doubles the ram, even though it doesnt add up like you would think (8gb). Very nice for triple monitors!

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

If you are playing on 3 monitors I would recommend you get the 780. It will help alot especially at that resolution. It is $100 more than the 4GB 770 though.

It has 3GB VRAM in case you were wondering.

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry, I should have explained more. I use 3 monitors for my work, but I only use the center monitor to test and play games on.

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

If you're only gaming on one, then you won't need the 4GB of VRAM. The 2 will do just fine. Assuming that work means something like programming, or writing (i.e. not animation rendering), then there's no need to have that much VRAM for the much higher added cost. I use two monitors to work on, at 1200p, and currently only 314MB of VRAM is being used. Now, if these monitors are 1440p/1600p, then the 4GB would be warranted for gaming.

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for clarifying. In that case, you should be able to play most games with 2GB of VRAM. Most situations that would require more than 2GB in current-gen games would also require high ammounts of AA which the 770 would not be able to handle anyway.

As for next-gen games, you may want to put that into consideration. For example, recommended settings for Battlefield 4 include at least 3GB of VRAM (that isn't the minimum requirement though).

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

Pretty much what's been said... If you game on 3 monitors, you'd use the 4GB, otherwise not.

However I'll add that even at 1080, it's likely that some of the games that come out in a year or so will definitely be able to put more than 2GB of VRAM to use. Currently games like Skyrim can if you load a ton of addons and such.

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

Hello, the real answer is neither. You want the 4gb AMD R9 290 which just came out today. It beats the gtx 780 in many games, and blows the 770 out of the water. To buy any other card right now unless you want nvidia 3d vision is just crazy.

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

The 290 is also more expensive, and it's new to the market. I would rather go with the cheaper 4GB 770 that has been tried and tested by lots of people.

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

the 290 is built like a rock, meant to handle super high temps and people overclocks. The only reason to get the 770 would be if you cant spend an extra 50$. This is why PC gamer just rated it a 95/100. The highest ever score, + an editor's choice award.

• 69 months ago
  • 0 points

Yes for 3 monitors get the gtx 770 4gb even if not gaming on all of them

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube