add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

That pricing bug

philip

41 months ago

About a month ago we rolled out some new pricing code. In a nutshell, it lets us more accurately track prices of retailers, and do so at a faster interval. It's been a long time coming - basically been in dev mode hibernating for about a year. It's a critical part of reusing pricing for other use cases...

Anyway, the code is mine, and so the bugs are mine too. We do some internal things for performance reasons to not thrash the database on price updates. I botched part of it, which caused many prices to think they didn't need to be updated for a very, very long time. Like, oh, several decades. Doh. That effect took place this past Friday right before I went out of town to the land of almost no internet (went to my Mom's place to build/frame a new roof for a large shed). So arriving back in Austin yesterday I found that price drops had stopped working, and the culprit was my pricing bug that got activated last Friday.

I identified and fixed the bug tonight, so all should be back to normal. Price drops are showing a bit abnormal, but should return to normal here in about a day. My apologies for the lack of price updates during the last few days. (Quick note - Amazon pricing takes a different code path and wasn't affected - their prices were updating properly the last few days.)

On a positive note however, the changes pushed live last Friday did have some good stuff too. We improved our ability to match up products in our database with retailers - to the tune of an additional 16,000+ retailer match-ups added to the site. The bulk of those ended up in non-US locales.

Comments

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmm... I want the prices to update every 30min...

UpdateInterval=30

Note: UpdateInterval is in years.

Now, be honest, is that what happened? :P

So how was the roofing job? Is it a large shed or just your standard "I don't want to buy one of those plastic !@$# things, so we'll make it ourselves!"? :P

• 41 months ago
  • 4 points

So how was the roofing job? Is it a large shed or just your standard "I don't want to buy one of those plastic !@$# things, so we'll make it ourselves!"? :P

My dad and I removed an old rusted out and rotten roof and framing from a 18'x11' structure, and removed the roof from a really old 10'x20' shed it was attached to. Then we framed out a new roof on top of both - effectively about 20'x21' total. We worked on it from sun up to sun down from Saturday to Tuesday. It was good stuff. I had to be back in Austin yesterday evening, so we ran out of time and hired roofers to come in and shingle it. Three guys showed up and did it in two hours - I was in awe (and terribly relieved too, since bad storms rolled in that night.) I have a tremendous respect for roofers, builders, carpenters, you name it. I'm a complete amateur and I know it, but it was still tons of fun (but hard work).

• 41 months ago
  • 3 points

Weight doesn't matter as long as you have:

Epic PC

Money

Your own tech website used by thousands of people

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

Yea, if you can actually push the roof off, it should probably be replaced... :P

Three guys showed up and did it in two hours - I was in awe

Oh yea. I mean, I've seen more than my share of homebuilding shows and had personal experience with it, but it always takes me a lot longer than the pros.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Easy way to lose weight: weight lifting. See Rippetoe's Starting Strength. There's a book and YouTube page. Do 30 minutes twice a week (lifting weights--not watching YouTube or reading) :P. No need to get intense and make your muscles sore; no need for weird powder mixes and pills. Just lift heavy stuff properly, and you'll be good after a month (physically). 3-8 months later, you'll be happy with how you look, and again weight lifting doesn't need to be strenuous.

[comment deleted]
  • 41 months ago
  • 1 point

Philip do you know why so many out of stock items are showing up for me now? Like this item has everyone out of stock http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-video-card-r7260xoc2gd5

Thanks!

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

If the stock field is blank, it's not that it's out of stock, but rather that we don't have sufficient information from the retailer to know whether it is in stock or not. i.e. if the retailer only updates their stock status once a day, we don't list that because we don't think that is accurate enough to use.

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh I get that. I mean for Newegg it says "In Stock" but when I go there it says "This item is currently out of stock and it may or may not be restocked." And the Superbiz one says "Item not found.

If you clicked through a product listing, the item you are looking for is temporarily out of stock."

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

to the tune of an additional 16,000+ retailer match-ups added to the site.

Wow that is impressive.

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

Does this explain the huge pricing error with things from DirectCanada and CanadaComputers? i.e products from CanadaComputers priced 50% or more below their usual prices, with links that direct to pages that don't exist. And pricing for DirectCanada that shows incorrect prices?

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 41 months ago
  • 2 points

It was fun, but hard. I love woodworking. Framing and demo is a whole different animal though.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube