add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Do you believe in global warming?

piemancoder

39 months ago

What the title says. I personally think climate change is a big problem, and we should really be trying to slow it down. It's something that the whole world needs to work together to help solve.

Comments

• 39 months ago
  • 10 points

How can people not believe in it...That is like denying the grass is green.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

True.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

What if they are colorblind?

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Then it might be justifyable

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

me

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't believe it...

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

yup

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 39 months ago
  • 2 points

Right up my alley. I'm a geologist. Yes it is real. This is a non debatable fact. Are humans really influencing it as much as media wants you to believe? Not exactly, but we are indirectly. We cannot reverse it. Just doesn't work that way. We can do our best to not over do it and be careful but we don't need to go all crazy about it.

• 39 months ago
  • 2 points

It does stink that we can't reverse it. That would make everything easier.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah but we can't. Just how it works. Sadly.

• 39 months ago
  • 2 points

We cant reverse global warming

Justin bieber's hair looked retarded at the iheatradio awars

Theres litterally NO good song released in the west in a couple of months (maybe except hello and standing in the light)

50% of americans are dumber then the average american

Anti-vaccine is a thing

This world is kinda dissapointing. But we must work with what we have. Sigh

• 39 months ago
  • 3 points

50% of americans are dumber then the average american

Sorry to be pedantic, but you mean median, not average.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Philip is definitely of the higher than median.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Theres a myriad of exceptions.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

We cannot reverse it. Just doesn't work that way.

There have been some climate engineering proposals to do just this though. They're all science fiction at the moment, but it's a serious topic of discussion. And considering we have inadvertently engineered an acceleration in climate change, it's not outside the realm of possibility.

[comment deleted]
  • 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Because that's how it works. We can slow it down. But we can't reverse it

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah like don't go spraying hairspray all day for fun but don't spend billions designing new hairspray that pollutes 1% less.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

This.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

I know it's a thing, but I don't think we should worry about it yet

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

I feel like it would be better to worry about it now before it gets worse. There have already been big changes, and it would only get worse. Better to fix it now since there is no reverse button.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

once humanity gets through the hot age, here comes another ice age

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

through the hot dank age

FTFY

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

The fact that the climate is changing is not really debatable. As to if or how much human action is influencing it... does it matter? We are going to be the ones holding the bag, so the reasons are less relevant. The big issue that's being hidden behind the climate denier smoke screen is who is going to feel the pain from changing it. The industrialized world can afford to let this get worse, and keep making a bunch of money on the backs of the developing world... who in turn is ruining the environment to just get a small slice of that sweet industrial money. At the end of the day this is an international class issue.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Speaking of global warming....

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/apr/15/sarah-palin-bill-nye-climate-change-hustle-film

I don't even know how she has as much power as she does....

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Sarah Palin is still relevant?

• 39 months ago
  • 3 points

Nah, she is just a dumb *** with power.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

That & we are on the returning path for our planet to be naturally warming up. More so global warming however

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

I like your way of thinking...

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

I have heard that before - the earth naturally heats up and cools down - but that doesn't make sense to me. There needs to be something generating the heat - and why is it cooling down?? What cycle is happening to cause it??

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

so basically the earth moves in cycles due to the heat generated through our planet itself, and the sun warming our atmosphere, simple science there. HOWEVER, the earth can cool (VERY QUICKLY) down if something BAD happens, say Yellowstone blows her top. there would be so much ash in the atmosphere that the sun couldn't penetrate it, and that means no heat because of the sun.

many things can cause this, meteors, large enough volcanoes, Antarctica...

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Good point. Didn't think about it that way. And once that 'event' settles, then the earth slowly warms up again.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

exactly, as long as we have an atmosphere this will keep going

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, and the sun is a relatively constant source of heat. Same with the earth's core, but I would think it is slooooowly cooling down. If it is heating up - where is that heat/energy coming from?

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

The simple answer is that the more ice there is, the more light the surface reflects and it continually gets colder, and the opposite happens for warmth. No idea what ends ice ages though.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Heat will end an ice age.

[comment deleted]
  • 39 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't think that is the debatable question - I think WHY it is warming - that is the debatable question.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Well technically that's correct. Before every ice age there is a period of warming. In several hundred thousand years there will be an ice age and it will kill most everything. This is how the cycles go. Nothing humans did. Just how it is.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah actually significantly faster than this once in the past. We as humans are affecting it, this is important to remember, but it's going to happen with or without us

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

it's going to happen with or without us

Then shouldn't we let nature do what it always does ?

• 39 months ago
  • 2 points

Fractions of degrees can cause a big difference. Think about it this way. If you shoot an arrow 5 centimeters away from a target, a 1 degree difference from straight won't make much difference. But if you are standing 500 miles away, 1 degree away from forward will make you completely miss. So while it might not make a difference that it's 1 degree hotter outside, it will make a difference with something as big as sea levels rising.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

What I meant was at the current rate of global warming, there are many changes, such as the sea level rising. This has many different effects on the earth. I agree that it was not the best analogy.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah - weird stuff like that is happening more often - intense storms - did you see Texas had baseball size hail? Windows of houses where busted. That is very rare. Golf ball size, sometimes. We'll probably see more and more of that stuff.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube