add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Opinions on my build?

atho122

70 months ago

Hi everyone, so this is what I've got.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Type Item Price
CPU AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor $153.61 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper N520 43.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $29.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard MSI 970A-G43 ATX AM3+ Motherboard $66.99 @ Amazon
Memory Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $69.99 @ NCIX US
Storage Seagate Constellation ES.3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $89.99 @ NCIX US
Video Card Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card $209.99 @ Newegg
Case NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case $42.98 @ Amazon
Power Supply SeaSonic 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply $69.99 @ Amazon
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) $94.99 @ Amazon
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available. $828.52
Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-15 23:12 EDT-0400

I'm trying to keep this PC as cheap as possible, and it's primary use will be gaming. Hopefully able to run new games such as BF4 on higher settings.

-Any advice? -Any way I could cut the price here without sacrificing too much performance? -Will this all run together smoothly?

This is my first build in about 8 years, so I had quite a bit of catching up to do and am not entirely sure how I did.

Thanks for any input

Comments

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

this is acually very well done only thing i would change is get the evo 212 cooler its just the one everyone uses

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks Proluke, you've inspired some confidence. I changed to the 212 EVO, and I also changed the mobo. Wasn't sure about that MSI one before, and the more reviews I read the less interested I became. This one is cost a little more (15-20 bucks more) but I think it'll be worth it.

Type Item Price
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $29.99 @ Microcenter
Motherboard ASRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard $82.55 @ Newegg
Memory Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $69.99 @ NCIX US
Storage Seagate Constellation ES.3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $89.99 @ NCIX US
Video Card Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card $209.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply SeaSonic 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply $69.99 @ Amazon
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) $94.99 @ Amazon
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available. $844.08
Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-16 00:38 EDT-0400

One question, do you think it would be worth is to go from the DDR3-1600 to DDR3-1866? Or is that pretty well negligible? They all seem to be CAS 9.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

HERE IS SOME 1866 RAM FOR SAME PRICE. Awesome build tho man I love it. Dont change anything now that you've changed to an evo 212, But consider THIS AMD themed case because it's flippin awesome!! cheers, have fun with saints row 4.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

the outside of the case may look nicer but the inside has horrible wiring.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

I know it would just be to top off the AMD build and be a bit different.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks fellas, looks like I'm ready to pull the trigger on this one. Appreciate the input.

• 70 months ago
  • 0 points

speed of the ram changes absolutely nothing for gaming the video card has its own 3 times faster ram, if you can get 1333 for cheap i would reccomend it!

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Dude. Just no. Games do indeed use system ram- that they get minor gains from speed increases doesn't mean you should ignore it entirely. There is no point in looking for 1333 on purpose when 1600 is pretty standard atm. Cas 9, 1600 is perfectly fine gaming ram at as reasonable a price as ram gets nowadays- saving 50 cents by going for the minimum speed a modern mobo supports is just ridiculous.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

you can see benchmarks and speed of ram changes nothing for gaming speed of ram, ram only changes speed of things like rendering. all im saying is that if you can find it for cheap because ram is going waaay up then get some 1333 mhz if you feel like saving a few bucks

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

...no. Ram speeds/latency have a small effect on fps, but it is not non existent. There is no good reason to downgrade to substandard ram on a gaming system to save 50 cents, not when there is plenty of good ol' 1600/9 ram at the same damn price point.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Made a few changes coming out to a lower cost with more features and functionality and performance.

1. Different cooler ( which you already noted you changed )

2.Superior motherboard

Superior UEFI with more functionality and updating providing better interoprability, compatibility and aspects of functionality. Even though it is an entry board is has had solid support.

The MSI board has had 4 updates since release the ASUS 11.

Additionally while you may not OC you are buying a FX CPU and you should consider it as it is very easy to improve performance. In this respect the M5A also offers a VRM heatsink which is key to ensuring stability and long term safety to the VRM components.

You will also have nice supplemental features like. USB 3.0 Boost Specialized controller with firmware that allows for optimized modes of bus operation for USB 3.0 ports. When shifted into Turbo or UASP modes can considerably improve the performance of flash drives or high speed external drives.

USB Bios Flashback A specialized hardware implementation that allows for direct UEFI ( bios ) updating or recovery. It can be executed even if the system fails to power on or post. Additionally it can be executed without CPU, Memory or Graphics Card being installed. All that is required is a PSU to be connected and powered on.

FanXpert+ Advanced manual fan controls with customized fan curve support for carefully tuning cooling performance and acoustics for your CPU and Chassis fans.

1. Made a change to the system memory for a lower amount changed the DRAM to DDR3 2400MHz. You might as well have faster memory and get better performance at the same cost. In my testing I have found memory to impact game play performance including frame rate. It is not substantial but it can impact it between 2 to 6 frames depending on the game engine and resolution..

2. Change to the hard drive. Offering same performance at a lower cost. Nothing wrong with the constellation ( mainly focus for enterprise workloads though )

Otherwise everything else looks solid. Best of luck in your build! Hope this helps.

Type Item Price
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $29.98 @ Outlet PC
Motherboard Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard $93.98 @ Outlet PC
Memory Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory $63.04 @ NCIX US
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $59.98 @ Outlet PC
Video Card Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card $189.99 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) $94.98 @ Outlet PC
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available. $798.53
Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-17 13:50 EDT-0400

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube