add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Don't worry about the contest voting

philip

44 months ago

For nothing is hidden that will not become evident, nor anything secret that will not be known and come to light. - Luke 8:17

Comments

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, the best way to stay hidden is by leaving yourself out in the open... hint hint (not that I care really if you do remember, just like making jokes. :P)

Though, uhh, how about making PCPP's internal code unhidden? Even though I'd barely understand it, bet it would be interesting... :P (Sorry, can't help myself!)

Anyway, good to know you guys are on the ball like always.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm not Homer!

Why don't you believe me?!

• 44 months ago
  • 3 points

Hi blasted.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 44 months ago
  • 1 point

What happened? Did people make alternate accounts which they used to upvote themselves and downvote others? Sorry for being a bit clueless here, haven't been on in a while (MacBook broke).

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorta.

People are making dozens of new accounts, and using them to up-vote their own build guides. But not just a couple people. There have been hundreds of accounts banned over the last few days. Its good that there is no down-vote button, because then lets say a bunch of people don't want someone to win, they can make new accounts, and down-vote that guy to 0.

Why using a MacBook on PCPP :/

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

lol I see. My normal laptop broke and I'm not allowed to build a PC yet :/.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Maybe you can enter the comp and win it? :)

I would upvote you :D

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Well idk how the contests even work... Mind if you explain to me? And thanks for offering the up vote btw.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

I doubt I would get any up votes, but I'll enter anyway. I'll up vote yours for sure though!

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Hopefully people with legit accounts and votes will win. But at least this is a good experience for you guys to run giveaways more easily

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Please never host a competition based on votes again, I'm grateful for the opportunity and thankful to both MSI and PCPP but it leaves too much room for cheating/unfair advantages. Considering we had a 0.6% chance per person last time I checked and it is only decreasing with each entry, it is kind of annoying knowing no matter the quality of our guide we couldn't surpass first place in votes, additionally I don't understand why they are getting so many votes, said build isn't too different from a lot of the others o.O

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Please never host a competition based on votes again

Or at least have it so users who have been here for a minimum of some amount of time could vote. Something to make things more fair.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Limiting it to people who have been here for a specified amount of time would possibly work to be honest. Didn't think about that, nice suggestion, that along with IP cross referencing or something of the sort would eliminate the possibility of cheating o.o

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Well part of the competition is designed to draw in traffic so it was almost inevitably going to end up being a popluarity contest.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Not for pcpp. Most of the new accounts are made by people who really don't care and we're bugged to make one. pcpp doesn't really gain any more users from the new accounts, just more traffic on the servers and waisted storage space. MSI, however, is genius. 4000 dollars bought them priceless advertisement in front of millions.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Just seen how many pages of guides you guys can see of MSI Dream build, I saw 1-108 were full of them a few not like that but still well into 100 pages of builds to look at, enjoy

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Philip, you made me laugh. I thank you for that :)

[comment deleted by staff]
[comment deleted]
  • 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Several already. Some apologetic (but still not fessing up), others threatening bad publicity.

[comment deleted]
  • 44 months ago
  • 2 points

Possibly. I've banned at least a few hundred accounts tonight already.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Ive noticed many posts disappear on forums.... must have been a few active accounts in there :P

• 44 months ago
  • 2 points

Unfortunately yes. Active accounts, often combined with dozens of alt accounts.

[comment deleted]
  • 44 months ago
  • 1 point

I understand your point of view - you expressed similar dismay in the blog post.

It's ok with me. I'm ok with it. It's going to help me improve this site.

This is the sort of thing I do have to do quite a bit more often these days, even before this contest. Voting collusion got people banned before, and we built out tools to help identify when it was happening. There's a kind of compromise though - I only wanted to spend enough time on that tooling to catch the obvious ones. i.e. it didn't make sense to spend 20 hours writing really comprehensive tools to catch one or two more people, when they'll likely out themselves in time anyway.

This contest brought a lot of dishonest people out of the woodwork. Now the incentive isn't just personal pride but actual hardware. It's been pretty amazing really. I mean, I knew there would be attempts at vote fraud, but the scale of it so far has been pretty impressive. If anything, the large corpus of data from this contest has shown us a few more vectors people are using for vote collusion. And that in turn has let us improve our tooling more. So it's a silver lining - subsequent contests probably won't use this approach, but in the meantime we're able to use the fake vote attempts to better prevent vote collusion across the entire site from here on out.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Sadly, that is the case with this contest. I wish it were different because there are improvements that I could do to my build but if I do change anything with my build, I lose my votes. Something I'm not too fond of.

[comment deleted]
  • 44 months ago
  • 1 point

His account was created on the time of the contest as well.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

That's what made me so upset. I don't even want you to up vote my build guide, but take a look at it. So much time and effort put in researching those parts. And I have like no up votes because I have no friends or family interested. I think he used his computer programing class which makes it even worse. It isn't fair.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

I've been researching my parts for over 2 months now and even with that my build wasn't perfect. When I published it, people commented giving me suggestions and ideas, things I could fix in order to make the build better. I'd love to change it up to make the build even better but I can't because of the votes disappearing if I change parts.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey won't disappear, you just won't see them. That happened to my other build guide, but it stayed in the top 5. That was before this whole MSI thing.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

"His account was created on the time of the contest as well."

I created my account on January 24, and found out about the contest when it was announced on MSI Facebook page. left a +1 in your build, and wish you best of luck.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

true dat

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

"I consider him a complete scumbag." thanks, I guess. :) wish you luck in the competition. Gave you a +1. and sorry about whatever wrong i did to you.

[comment deleted]
  • 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Adding downvotes makes it worse. It becomes "upvote me AND downvote everyone else." Much easier to deal with it this way and we had been talking about removing downvotes before the contest even happened.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube