add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

I'm making a website :)

piemancoder

47 months ago

Hello everybody! As you maybe figured out from the title, I'm going to make a website! It will mostly be a news/reviews/how tos/other stuff website, but I hope to do other things as well. It will maybe be up soon (keyword is maybe), and I hope to have a few things up before I release the whole site, so that it isn't just an empty useless page. In fact, I'm currently working on an IBM Model M review. There are definitely many more things that I will want to review, but I won't be able to for a little bit (I'm assuming Nvidia won't give me a free shield to review when I don't even have a domain, among other companies).

Speaking of domains, that is one of the problems I am having, and would like to ask you guys for help. I had a name for the website chosen, but there was no .com domain for it. That means I will either have to go with a .org domain, or find a different name. Does anyone have any name suggestions I could use? Or would it be better to just go with a .org domain?

Comments

• 47 months ago
  • 2 points

ALright, here is the deal. .com used to be a stable, but it really is not anymore. Once those cool little google spiders grab ahold of your website and you find yourself in the search results, that .com wont be as important. Does it look more professional, well yes. But i would not spend that much time beating yourself over the head over .com .net or .org any one of them would be fine. sidenote: if you do physically beat yourself over the head, make sure you record it, it would make for some interesting content. So basically if you have a good name but have to make it a .org, then go for it.

• 47 months ago
  • 2 points

Thank you for your help!

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

That is what i am here for, any time.

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you have any more amazing advice?

• 47 months ago
  • 2 points

On web design side. Not to much. I have learned that if you just dive into it and see what happens, things will work out.

On the url side, i think i explained it all.

On the content side, You do what you feel like doing, and people will like it or hate it, or both, just the nature of the internet.

Good luck.

• 47 months ago
  • 2 points

Thank you so much :)

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

Same, but i dont now what to use to make it..

.ca .org .com

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm using Squarespace right now. The 14 day trial was long enough for me to get the basic structure of my site down, you get a free domain, and it supports multiple people as creators for one site (I have a fried who might help me) and it has all I need.

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

okay. I just wanted a free website maker..

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, squarespace isn't free. I have seen some good weebly sites though.

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

huh. may as well check out weebly.

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

If i may add something, the one thing i use for faster websites, at least to get them off the ground, is wix.com. It is not perfect and it is missing a lot of stuff, but they do have as very good drag and drop method, and you can make a very professional website with them.

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

Does anyone have any name suggestions I could use? Or would it be better to just go with a .org domain?

.io seems to be popular lately. Maybe that would work?

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

AHEM (agar.io) AHEM! sorry, I don't know what just came over me.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

agar.io

squirt.io

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

With the url try to make it as short as possible. If the name of your site is long consider using an abbreviation.

With the site itself the main thing is to ensure that it's user friendly, good navigation and obviously looks the same on different web browsers.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi pieman! I recommend you use a raspberry pi to run the server. And about domains, I have no clue. Good luck! ~Ben

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the good advice Ben :)

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube