add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Welcome to Philip's Corner

philip

47 months ago

Hi everyone,

The past few months have been a whirlwind here at PCPartPicker. We’ve moved into office space, doubled down on content creation, and have been cranking away at some stuff that isn’t quite public yet. Through all the craziness, I’ve started to feel a bit disconnected with the community here. I pop in some threads from time to time, but not like I used to be able to. I want to kind of give a peek at what’s going on under the hood - whether it be business things, server issues, dev work, you name it. So I’ve decided to put up this forum as a place for me to post little summaries of what’s going on from time to time. That way you know that we're really doing work here, even if the face of the website doesn't appear to change much. :)

Cheers,
Philip

Comments

• 46 months ago
  • 18 points

If there is Phillip's corner, then I must be Manirelli's Fridge.

• 47 months ago
  • 7 points

My only suggestion: Put 'Philip's Corner' after 'Announcements / Site News' as it relates to the development of the site. It looks out of place between 'General Discussion' and 'Off Topic'.

• 47 months ago
  • 8 points

Ah, yep - makes sense. Moved.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 47 months ago
  • 5 points

Its Philip's Corner, Stay in Philip's corner and you are safe.

• 46 months ago
  • 2 points

What about Manirelli's corner? Will I be safe there?

• 46 months ago
  • 18 points

My corner is more of a fort created from various keyboards, mice, headphones and artisan keycaps. No one is safe...

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Dome, flat or mechanical switches?

• 46 months ago
  • 3 points

mechs and topre

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

not laser keyboards and air mice?

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Yep

[comment deleted]
  • 47 months ago
  • 2 points

:D

• 46 months ago
  • 4 points

So...

If I come to "Create a Part List For Me" I hear a bunch of noobs asking for help.

If I come to "Part List Opinions Wanted" I hear a bunch of less-noobish noobs asking for help.

If I come to the individual part forums, I hear a bunch of weird comparisons and questions about specs PCPP doesn't show yet.

If I come to "Off Topic" I hear a bunch of random ****.

If I come here I get sneak peeks into life at PCPP and long rants about stuff.

Count me in!

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, basiclly.

• 45 months ago
  • 4 points

I know this would be a large task to take on, but I think you should add a custom water cooling section to PCPP. It will not only make water cooling easier, but maybe get some more people into doing it. What do you think?

• 47 months ago
  • 2 points

Thanks philip! You da real mvp!

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

What's your opinion on the awful PC-specs as a crude version of PC Part Picker? I do like how they rate the power of the parts in certain games even though it is pretty inaccurate.

• 47 months ago
  • 4 points

There have been a lot of sites similar to PCPP that launched after we did. Some have taken a lot of the concepts we used. Should I be frustrated by that? I don't know. Sometimes I am, sometimes I'm not.

Rating power in games is something that's been on our roadmap for a long long time. But roadmap vs actually executing on it is a different thing, so kudos to them for shipping something (unlike us).

There have been some pretty blatant ripoffs for sure. If anything, it's validation that we're doing something right. And in my opinion, they can keep on trying to copy what we're doing, because what they see is 6-12 months behind what we're working on. Most of the copycats we've seen to date haven't fully solved some of the really challenging problems we've seen. So as long as we keep at it and keep listening to our community we'll be ok.

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you guys have a patent on any of the software?

• 46 months ago
  • 4 points

We don't have a patent, and even if we did it's prohibitively expensive to pursue litigation anyways (if we wanted to, but we're not that kind of company). We feel like if we do our job right and focus on our users, having clones of our site around won't matter.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

that is so right Philip. focus on quality and service the rest will follow :) thank you for this great site ! i enjoy every bit of it.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Great, now we just need Vlogs and my life'll be complete.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Can I get a corner?

• 46 months ago
  • 3 points

Can I get a corner?

Publish a web site!

• 40 months ago
  • 0 points

No.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

I have a serious question. Since I am Manirelli's fridge, can I be a mod or staff member?

• 46 months ago
  • 9 points

No. But you can fetch me a frosty beverage.

• 46 months ago
  • 3 points

All I have is Mountain Dew, and I can't walk. Have my owner get it.

• 46 months ago
  • 7 points

I don't drink Mountain Dew, so you're of no value to me. I think I'll post you on Craigslist.

• 46 months ago
  • 4 points

But you don't own me.

• 40 months ago
  • -3 points

Actually he kind of does...

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Can I have my own corner at least? "Manirelli's Fridge's Corner"?

• 46 months ago
  • 9 points

No.

• 46 months ago
  • 3 points

I feel you. No Mountain Dew then...

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Important question. The cyberblkgobble code on superbiiz only works once, but on the pcpartpicker part list, it shows up multiple times. Please limit the amount of times that code can be used, so I really get the true price amount.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Excellent work Philip! It has only been 2 months since I became a member of PCPartPicker website, and I'm hugely impressed. I also watch every video on your YouTube Channel, and I love every one of them. Simply Superb... but a dilemma : On what basis do you make the YouTube videos? Is it based on new part additions, Completed Builds, or member requests? Thanks for your time!

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Kudos to Ryan Manirelli too! Your videos are spectacularly informative, easy to follow, and I love you for the way you build a PC. Count me in as one of your fan-following.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

All hail King philip.

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

Are there any updates on the mobile app? :)

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Will you guys be at E3 or any of the Pax events? I'm genuinely curious.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Can you make a Website called Fridge Picker? We can learn How to build our fridges, watercool them for Sub Zero Temps, and keep our Gamma super cool.

[comment deleted]
  • 47 months ago
  • 2 points

Oooh yeah. Maybe that deserves it's own topic. One sec, lemme write that up real quick.

[comment deleted]
  • 47 months ago
  • 1 point

We're eight total right now. We could get by with less for just PCPP, but we have plans for more (new site, ramped up content, etc.)

Anyhow, here's my brief state-of-mobile-app post: https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/116738-wheres-that-infernal-mobile-app

[comment deleted]
  • 47 months ago
  • 2 points

We're quite civil. Most of our furniture is too heavy to throw anyway. (We got sit/stand desks for everyone. The freight guy dropped them off at the front of the building and we got to carry them in - like 2000 lbs worth. Not doing that again.)

[comment deleted]
  • 47 months ago
  • 0 points

So Jack and I are previous C++ guys. I did C++ dev at my old job for about 12 years. Lots of people hate it, but I felt really comfortable with it. I was a C guy through and through beforehand, so C++ felt like a natural extension to me. Some days I miss it, then I think about debugging complex template compile errors and suddenly runtime python errors are ok again.

iOS-wise, we have some Macs in the office so we're good with Xcode and Objective C. (Ironically I use a Mac as my primary dev system - I <3 the unix environment, but spent years with Linux desktop environments and yearned for something good and consistent. I'd run hackintosh, but I can't afford the downtime if an update takes my machine out of commission.)

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube