add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

On the uptick in forum spam

philip

46 months ago

Several months ago we saw a large bump in forum spam coming from the India / Pakistan / Bangladesh region. I started banning IP ranges, but they hit from so many I got pretty frustrated and banned an entire /12 for Airtel in India. (For those that don't know, that's basically a million IPs.) Forum spam dropped significantly immediately. However, it also blocked a large number of legitimate users. So about a month ago I dropped the /12 IP ban. Then sure enough, a few weeks later the spam returned. Now it's back in force.

We have a couple strategies we're mulling over to reduce this, and I hope to roll some of it out over the next few weeks. I appreciate your patience while we deal with it. In the meantime, reporting spammy comments and topics helps us a ton to get rid of it quickly.

Comments

• 46 months ago
  • 2 points

Maybe add some verification measures when logging in and make it essential to verify your email before you can make forum posts. Might not eradicate the problem but for people using spam bots it might put a stop to them.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

We do verify email before being able to log in. For a bit we saw automated email verification clicks from spam bots, but we've found workarounds to block those. In a nutshell, the spam we're seeing now isn't from bots. It's manual spam from humans.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Aaah I see... Still this forum has a lot less spam than I've seen in other forums that I use, and the community including myself seems to report it as soon as it's posted. And if you decide to put together a PcPP hit squad count me in ;) haha.

• 46 months ago
  • 3 points

Horrible, horrible joke:

PC Part Picker Anti-Spam Squad.

I bet the acronym of it could even be the little title on the username, like Staff. :P

Good to know the spam is being taken care of.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

If there were signatures in the forums, I would SO add this to it. Now all we need is automated signatures. Guess I'll just manually type it in for now.

-This message created by piemancoder, a member of the PCPPASS

[comment deleted]
  • 45 months ago
  • 2 points

I still enjoy the occasional idiot who thinks that this forum is a good place to advertise his refrigerator repair store in Egypt.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

I recomended a simple deterrent on the last one i reported. it wont end the problem, but may slow down the bots for a while.

Nice to see you adress this with us in such an informative way. Most admins wouldnt bother with such a good explanation lol

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

I've definitely reported a couple. The one the other day was pretty bad. Can't remember what it was called, but it was sexual...

• 46 months ago
  • 3 points

Yeah... I banned that one but got a little giggle in as well.

[comment deleted]
  • 46 months ago
  • 1 point

what? sex didnt sell? lol

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

I think the post was called "Man Power," which really could have been anything. After reading the post, though, it was clearly spam. The link itself was super obvious as well (I didn't click it though...I'm at work and would prefer not to raise any flags).

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

haha, i think i saw that too but didnt read the text once i saw the link. maybe i should have read it lol

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

I know right! I hope they don't know what Astrill is...

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

I will do my best.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

I just saw a bunch of spam, reported all the ones I found.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

And again...Part List Opinions forum currently being bombarded. Adding new ones every few seconds.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

I haven't really been seeing this...so good job mods I guess.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

IN the last week i have seen it once, they did a good job of getting rid of it in a timely manner.. It shows they look at the reports unlike forum mods in other forums, so much respect to the mods here at pcpp

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]
[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube