add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Comments (Continued)

• 60 months ago
  • 3 points
  • 60 months ago
  • 3 points

I thought it would be helpful for a variety of reasons to have that info in this thread:

1. Helps show that this site has done AMD builds, to remind us all.
  2. Gives me an idea of when Ryan last did one, so I can think about what might have changed between then and now. I mean, I guess he REALLY wants to make sure he has the quick sync technology in that HTPC build? Because otherwise it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense when you could go AMD to deliver a more powerful HTPC like so:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD A6-7400K 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor $69.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard ECS A58F2P-M4(1.0) Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard $42.99 @ Newegg
Memory Pareema 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $34.99 @ Newegg
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.99 @ Amazon
Case Silverstone ML03B HTPC Case $55.96 @ NCIX US
Power Supply Antec Basiq 350W ATX Power Supply $29.99 @ Amazon
Optical Drive Lite-On iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer $12.99 @ Newegg
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $296.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-03 23:41 EST-0500

I'm thinking the last APU Ryan put together was Trinity; he just hasn't had time to fiddle around with the new switchable-TDP parts. Aren't these Kaveri parts more worthwhile in view of 4k video content that your HTPC might be asked to show? Just guessing based on the power gap between the iGPUs on these parts (also the ECS board for that Pentium states it only goes up to a resolution of 1920x1200, though that might be a typo on the part of ECS).

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube