It was time for an upgrade from my old 6700K. I had intended to get back on HEDT earlier, but nothing really scratched my build-itch, from cases to motherboards, most new components were unexciting to me.
That changed with the release of the 2950X and 2990WX, but it took a while before I could carve out the time to build. I settled on the 2950X with the idea that it would be able to do everything reasonably well.
The reason I settled on the Strix X399-E was purely because of slot spacing, I wanted to use the Wraith Ripper which would not be possible on a Zenith Extreme unless I gave up the use of the first PCIE slot.
I also knew I wanted a larger case again, after having gone with ITX and MATX for the past couple of years. The Corsair Obsidian 500D and the Phanteks Evolv X were my only choices, and I eventually chose the 500D because I like the sleek front panel more.
Originally, I had intended to buy new graphics cards, but after various preorders kept getting pushed off into the future and uncertainty, I populated the system with one Strix 1080 Ti and one Strix Vega 64 I already owned. I might change these for an explicit dual-card or even single-card setup in the future.
The AX1600i PSU is probably overkill even with everything at full blast, but I reasoned that I won't have to buy another PSU for a decade or so. I really like the build quality and relative compactness of the AX1600i and have a feeling it'll survive many rebuilds and changes.
The actual build went about as smoothly as expected, I knew going in that the 500D is based on an older tooling and has many vestigial quirks and problem areas. The fact that the PSU only mounts from the side, and not from the back on a detachable frame, while having to clear a tiny steel lip that's part of the frame, made installing it a chore and I didn't like how I felt I would scratch it up just from seating it.
The cable channel on the back is much too small, there was no way to get all the cables under the annoyingly narrow cable cover, even so I had to smush the cables forcefully to be able to screw in the two thumbscrews that secure it. The two EPS cables are zip-tied and ruin the cleanliness of the SSD area somewhat, but there was no other way to make it work. There was also no way to connect the front USB3 type A-header, the grommet was simply positioned incorrectly. This would not be a problem with an ATX motherboard, as opposed to the X399-E which is E-ATX, and I'm not overly bothered by it. I also left off the front audio header and reset switch because I never use them, but I did connect the USB type C-header.
I'm still tinkering and dialing in the system and haven't decided on what to do graphics card-wise, so this build is subject to change.